Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

purwadi

Power BI Alert & Subscribe Feature (push notification)

Hi,

Good Afternoon..
Currently im planning to create push notification to my email from Power BI Dashboard/Report that already shared to me.

Dashboard/ report created by import the data from on premise sql server & excel (data updated daily replace by human).

My question, is it possible to create push notification to my email in that case. I already try to create alert but there is no alert button in every tiles/KPI in my dashboard. I already set to subscribe the dashboard but when it replaced with the new ones i dont get the email. Or if that doesnt work is there any walkaround method?

Appriciate of any responses.
Thank you..

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @purwadi,

Please take a look at below limitation if these matched your scenario.

Considerations and troubleshooting

• At the current time, subscribe is not available for dashboards or reports that come from content packs or Power BI apps. But there is a workaround...make a copy of the report/dashboard and add subscriptions to that version instead.
  • Report page subscriptions are tied to the name of the report page. If you subscribe to a report page, and rename it, you will have to re-create your subscription
  • For email subscriptions on live connection datasets, you will only get emails when the data changes. So, if a refresh occurs but no data changes, Power BI will not send you an email.
  • Email subscriptions do not support most custom visuals. The one exception is those custom visuals that have been certified.
  • Email subscriptions are sent with the report's default filter and slicer states. Any changes to the defaults that you make before subscribing will not show up in the email.
  • E-mail subscriptions are not yet supported on reports pages created by the Power BI Desktop live connect to service feature.
  • For dashboards subscriptions specifically, certain types of tiles are not yet supported. These include: streaming tiles, video tiles, custom web content tiles.
  • If you share a dashboard with a colleague outside of your tenant, they will not be able to subscribe to the dashboard or its associated report pages. So if you are aaron@xyz.com, you can share with anyone@ABC.com. But anyone@ABC.com cannot subscribe to the shared content.
  • Subscriptions may fail on dashboards or reports with extremely large images due to email size limits.
  • Power BI automatically pauses refresh on datasets associated with dashboards and reports that have not been visited in more than 2 months. However, if you add a subscription to a dashboard or report, it will not be paused even if it goes unvisited.
  • If you are not receiving the subscription emails, ensure that your User Principal Name (UPN) is able to receive emails. The Power BI team is working on relaxing this requirement, so stay tuned.

Subscribe to a Power BI report or dashboard

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

So if I read this correctly - "If you share a dashboard with a colleague outside of your tenant, they will not be able to subscribe to the dashboard or its associated report pages. So if you are aaron@xyz.com, you can share with anyone@ABC.com. But anyone@ABC.com cannot subscribe to the shared content."

Any external users that you share the report with will not be able to use any of the email features that normal users can. There can be no automation to alert users of dataset refresh or data value changes. Why allow external users to subscribe or manage alerts if the system isn't capable of delivering good links to them? Why would this even be a limitation? You have their address, the dashboard itself has a unique link, the alert is sent so just put the dashboard link in an email for end users.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors