Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Johann_32
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI Administrator - Access to workspaces

Hello,

as a Power BI administrator, I need to able to access all Power BI workspaces in the tenant.

I know it is possible to gain access workspace by workspace by using "Admin portal" --> "Workspaces" --> click on desired workspace "..." and grant myself access. 

But this sounds more like a workaround and doesn't make it easy for administration, because

1. I do not know when a new workspaces was created and it is manual work to add admins to each and every workspace

2. It also confuses workspace members that now there is also another person allowed to access their workspace (when they check the Access menu)

3. Of course, this only works starting with V2 workspaces.. as we have a lot of (80%) our workspaces still in V1, migration also needs to be done before.

Is there any other way to gain access to workspaces (including personal workspaces)?

Thank you

Best wishes

Johann

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi! I'm sorry but that's the only way to administrate the access with UI. You can always build a script or piece of code to make those operations with the REST API.

Remember you can't be parte of the "My Workspace" of other users even if you are admin. Those spaces are Personal only.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RajCZ
Frequent Visitor

I am power bi admin, I can go to  "Admin portal" --> "Workspaces" --> click on desired workspace "..." and grant myself access, but when I tried to give the same access throug Power shell script it doesn't work.

because to give access to workspace, you should have atliest minimum access on the workspace.

Since I don't even have minimum access , it doesn't loop through any workspace.

1. is there special way to login to script to  see all workspaces as admin.

2. is there any permission needed to have access to all workspace and other contents by default?

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi! I'm sorry but that's the only way to administrate the access with UI. You can always build a script or piece of code to make those operations with the REST API.

Remember you can't be parte of the "My Workspace" of other users even if you are admin. Those spaces are Personal only.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors