Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jdusek92
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power BI APP - multiple reports with different permissions

Hello,

I have a question about Power BI APPs.

I have 3 reports that show HR data:

• Report A - shared with 10 people via Link (Not via Workspace - they cannot have the Build permission/ see underlying data)
  • Report B - shared with 20 (report A + 10 users) people via Link (Not via Workspace - they cannot have the Build permission/ see underlying data)
  • Report C - shared with 10 (same as report A) people via Link (Not via Workspace - they cannot have the Build permission/ see underlying data). +Uses Row Level Security via UserPrincipalName

I want to create an App to that will join all 3 reports into one. But I still want the original permissions applied. So that users will see in the app exactly the same data as in individual reports.

I am not sure how to properly share the App with the users. I am afraid that sharing the app will overwrite the original report permissions + Row Level Security.

Users cannot have access to the data set, they can only see the aggregated data in the visualizations.

Can you please advise how to share the app to achieve this?

Warm regards,

Jakub

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That would be nice, wouldn't it?  In reality you have two options

a) allow tenant wide auto installation of apps.  We would never ever do that in our org but your situation may be different.

b) your users need to "install/register"  the app before they can use report links. This is a one time thing, but it is a step that cannot be skipped.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Vikram_Siri

Hi Jdusek92,

Now i got same requirement. Did u get solution on ur problem ? If yes pls.. reply

jdusek92
Helper IV
Helper IV

is the original Rowl Level Security applied, when I add that report to the App and Share the app? 

Row Level Security is a feature of the dataset, it has nothing to do with/ is not influenced by the report or the app. 

so when users already have access to those 3 reports via share link (they are not members of the workspace), I do not need to share the new app with them, when created?

That would be nice, wouldn't it?  In reality you have two options

a) allow tenant wide auto installation of apps.  We would never ever do that in our org but your situation may be different.

b) your users need to "install/register"  the app before they can use report links. This is a one time thing, but it is a step that cannot be skipped.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

At the moment it is still "one app per workspace". If you have sufficiently distinct audiences then you need to use separate apps for each of your audiences.  All of the reports in these apps can point to a common "golden" dataset if you want to keep the development effort in check.

Denying users build access is not user friendly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors