cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PowerBIlearner Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Power BI 2016

Ok my DBA has set up a new SQL server 2016 (SSRS 2016) environment on a server and wants me to do POC on power BI with 2016 instead of taking the refersing using gateway route. I have a Dashboard created on my local (pbix file) and I also have SSRS 2016 hosted on a server. Where do I start now to integrate power BI with SSRS 2016? Is the process similar to how we upload the SSRS reports and point to a data source? I have uploaded the pbix to report manager and where do I change the source after uploading?

Page1.pngPage2.png

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Power BI 2016

Sorry, what do you mean by "change the source"? Are you trying to display the report with SSRS versus in the Service? Unless I am mistaken, that is only possible with the latest CTP of SQL Server 2016.

Now, in SQL Server 2016, you can go into Reporting Services Configuration Manager and establish a link to your Power BI Tenant. This allows you to pin SSRS visuals to Power BI Service. That is in the release of SQL Server 2016.

Check-out my Back to School contest submission: Dinosaurs!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

PowerBIlearner Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Thank you for your response.

By "change the source" I mean like the way you upload SSRS reports to server and change the data source source, I was expecting to upload the power BI pbix file and change the Data source. I am sorry if I got this wrong.

When you said "you can go into Reporting Services Configuration Manager and establish a link to your Power BI Tenant. " Can you please tell me how to do this step by step?

Super User
Super User

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2016/07/22/manually-configuring-power-bi-integration-...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt598750.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Check-out my Back to School contest submission: Dinosaurs!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

PBI Community Highlights

PBI Community Highlights

Check out what's new in the Power BI Community!

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 59 members 1,381 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: