Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Evogelpohl
Helper V
Helper V

Potential Bug - Using Hive Style Partition Folder Name on ADLS Gen2 with Service Refresh

Noticed an issue today w/ PowerBI.Com using files on ADLS Gen2 as my source and publishing to the service using an access-key for credentials.

I recently changed the structure of my data lake files.

I used to structure as the following:

storageacct.dfs.core.windows.net/container/raw/source/*.json

When using this pathing structure, PowerBI Service never failed at refreshing from ADLS using a KEY.

As I'm doing more development in Databricks, I've changed my ADLS pathing structure to the following:

storageacct.dfs.core.windows.net/container/zone=bronze/source=sourceapp/*.json

I editing the SOURCE=PATH in my PowerBI workbook and didn't notice any odd behavior until I attemped to refresh my credentials in PowerBI.com. I got an error stating that my credentials (key) weren't valid. Note, other than the Source= path, nothing else had changed in my workbook.

I suspected that PowerBI.com did not like the equal (=) symbol in the source path. I changed the source line to only reference the /container portion of the URL (removed zone=bronze/source=sourceapp) and added a second FILTER statement to find that path using the %3D for the equal symbol (Text.Contains([Folder Path], "zone%3Dbronze/source%3Dsourceapp")). 

I reposted the workbook to PowerBI.com, and was then able to update my credential key without error.

Hope that helps someone else hitting the same odd error.

2 REPLIES 2
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Evogelpohl ,

How did you get workbook from ADLS Gen2? I think your issue should be casued by not updating data source credential in Power BI Service. If you republish your workbook to Power BI Service, you will republish the new credential and data to Power BI. So it will work well.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

How did I connecto ADLG Gen2? 

Using the in-built connector: =
Source = AzureStorage.DataLake("https://mystorage.dfs.core.windows.net/data/zone=bronze/source=xxx")

I tried the following to attempt to fix whilst having the /zone=bronze/source=xxx in the first Source line:

1. In PowerBi Desktop - removed all creds, global, forcing a total re-login for ADSL, republish, - works in the desktop, fails in service.

2. Tried both a KEY and an OAuth/my-organizational azure account - works in desktop, republish, fails in service.

3. Create entire new test PBIX, with /zone=bronze/..., works in Desktop, fails in Service.

1,2,3 all work in both the Desktop and Service when i remove the /zone=bronze/source=xxx and filter it in line two. 

HTHs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors