Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Postgres Database Connection

I'm unable to connect to my Postgres database using the gateway postgres datasource connector.

• Gateway enterprise is installed
  • npgsql 3.2.6 is installed (server restarted)
  • postgres configured to allow external connections
  • The postgres database is setup on a VM hosted on Azure
  • I'm using DirectQuery

I see lots of post with similar issues but no complete guide. What details need passing to the server name? servername/ip + port? What firewall rules are required?

See below error:

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance."Hide details
Activity ID: 1482f5c9-ab14-4e23-a961-db9684b9ba65
Request ID: f7f0cad3-7e4b-634b-eb47-8f205876e01b
Cluster URI:
Status code: 400
Error Code: DMTS_PublishDatasourceToClusterErrorCode
Time: Sun Jun 07 2020 15:27:46 GMT+1000 (Australian Eastern Standard Time)
Service version: 13.0.13456.212
Client version: 2005.4.01272-train
auzre projectwise: Unable to connect to the data source undefined.
Underlying error code: -2147467259
Underlying error message: Please install Npgsql version 4.0.10.0 or earlier.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult: -2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourceKind: PostgreSQL
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourcePath: servername;datasource
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason: DataSource.MissingClientLibrary

2 REPLIES 2
hampusrude
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous  I have the exact same problem as you. Have you managed to solve this problem?

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for replying late.

The 400 ERROR means a bad http request. Please updata on-premise gateway to the lastest version. If you already have updated the gateway to the latest version, then you can refer to steps below for troubleshooting.

1. Check if the server is using a proxy and the proxy. Some proxies restrict traffic to only ports 80 and 443. By default, communication to Azure Service Bus will occur on ports other than 443.

2. You can force the gateway to communicate with Azure Service Bus using HTTPS instead of direct TCP. You will need to modify the Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.dll.config file. Change the value from AutoDetect to Https. This file is located, by default, at C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway.

3. Restart the gateway and check if the issue persists. 

• To stop the service, run this command:

''' net stop PBIEgwService '''

• To start the service, run this command:

''' net start PBIEgwService '''

4. You may export the data gateway log by selecting Diagnostics and then selecting the Export logs link near the bottom of the page. Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot#tools-for-troubleshooting.

If the issue is very urgent, I would suggest you to create a support ticket to achieve deeper help.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors