Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

aukev
Helper III
Helper III

PostgreSQL to Power BI Service without on premise gateway

We're looking into pushing our data into a cloud PostgreSQL database. Probably Azure PostgreSQL. We'd like to have an online dashboard/reports so we need to use the cloud version of Power Bi so that these refresh daily. I noticed that to be able to get data from PostgreSQL sources we need to run a Gateway. Seems this can only be done on-premise on a windows machine or windows server. This is not really an option for us.

Are there any solutions to get around this? Other suggestions?

BTW, we specifically chose PostgreSQL for financial reasons. I`m aware that Azure SQL and Azure Datawarehouse have apps to connect directly with Power BI Service but these are considerably more expensive.

7 REPLIES 7
epresson
Frequent Visitor

Hello has there been any other progress on this topic? I have the same question, why is an Azure Postgresql DB not considered as an online/cloud source? Why do I need to use a gateway to download my data from the Azure DB just so it can then be forwarded to the cloud again via PowerBi Service?
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @aukev,

Yes, the data gateway for power bi should be installed in 64-bit version of Windows 7 / Windows Server 2008 R2 (or later).

If you want to get data from PostgreSQL database in Power BI Desktop and publish the report in Power BI Service and then set the schedule refresh, you must install the gateway.

Here is a workaroud which may be helpful if your data is not very large.

If you cannot install gateway, you could try online data source. You could export your data in PostgreSQL database to excel and then upload the excel file in SharePoint. Then you could connect the excel in SharePoint in Power BI Desktop with web connector, it won't need you to install the data gateway for refresh.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks. I was hoping there would be a more elegant solution. I`ll look into setting up a windows virtual machine to run the gateway from. Thanks.

Hi Cherry, a related question. If we where to use Azure SQL Database, would we need the gateway to refresh too or would that work out of the box?

Hi @aukev,

Yes, If you use Azure SQL Database, that will be the online data source. 

For online source, we don't need to use configure the data gateway.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The solution here does not really sound good enough. Why can't one use Azure Database for PostgreSQL server as an online data source for the Power BI service? or I am not getting the gist of things. I found myself in a similar situation and I want to be able to use the power BI service for direct querying to the database without constantly refering back to Powert BI Desktop.

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors