Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Link
Frequent Visitor

PostgreSQL data source using encrypted connection when published?

Hi Team,

I'm publishing a report based off a PostgreSQL database that I'm hosting on an AWS EC2 instance, which I have specifically selected it not be a secure connection:

image.png

This works well for my desktop version, I'm able to load data / manipulate / build my report. However when I publish the report and attempt to open it I'm unable to view the report due to my database not accepting encrypted (SSL) connections:

image.png

Enabling SSL in my database only serves to give me a new error about certificates, 'The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure':

image.png

Looking through the forums for similar issues I found this thread indicating that @v-jiascu-msft was looking into it, however there wasn't really a resolution there.

From what I understand based on similar threads this error essentially spawns from there not being certificates on the connecting machine. However, with an unencrypted connection this shouldn't be a problem? Are the data source encryption settings being changed when I publish to app.powerbi.com?

Cheers, Link.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Link
Frequent Visitor

UPDATE:

I went through the support gauntlet to try to get this resolved, and learned a couple of things that aren't listed anywhere in the documentation:

- SSL needs to be enabled, PowerBI Service doesn't care about what settings you have selected in the creation of the report and there's no way to change that

- The SSL certificate needs to be one signed by a registered CA, it can't be a self-signed certificate

I didn't get as far as working out how to have the certificate maintained in PowerBI, however I have the inkling that if it's installed in Windows (to allow for report creation in PowerBI Desktop) then it will likely be included when publishing the report. Don't quote me on that, I haven't tested it.

We've moved away from PostgreSQL onto an AzureSQL as a solution, luckily the server creation was for this product so we could pivot pretty easily.

Hope this helps someone else.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Link
Frequent Visitor

UPDATE:

I went through the support gauntlet to try to get this resolved, and learned a couple of things that aren't listed anywhere in the documentation:

- SSL needs to be enabled, PowerBI Service doesn't care about what settings you have selected in the creation of the report and there's no way to change that

- The SSL certificate needs to be one signed by a registered CA, it can't be a self-signed certificate

I didn't get as far as working out how to have the certificate maintained in PowerBI, however I have the inkling that if it's installed in Windows (to allow for report creation in PowerBI Desktop) then it will likely be included when publishing the report. Don't quote me on that, I haven't tested it.

We've moved away from PostgreSQL onto an AzureSQL as a solution, luckily the server creation was for this product so we could pivot pretty easily.

Hope this helps someone else.

@Linkwhere can one find registered CA? We are trying to use Power BI desktop + service with self signed certificate with openssl, but I can't find where can we create certificate with official CA?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Link,

What version of PostgreSQL data source and client are you used? I think this issue may cause with power bi service client version. (Power bi service not able to recognize and compatibility with the encrypted credentials generated from a different data source/client version)

I'd like to suggest you open a support ticket with detail information to get further support for these compatibility issues.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly  

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors