Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cuneytkocabiyik
Regular Visitor

PostgreSQL Live Connection Without a Gateway

Hi Everyone,

We have a PostgreSQL database on a Linux server. I can easily connect to it with the required credentials from PBI Desktop but naturally(?) not able to perform live connection. 

My client doesn't allow me to install a gateway on a virtual machine for some reasons.

Dataset on the published report returns me this error message: "Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid."

As I know, there is no way to create a live connection and scheduled refreshes from an on-premises PostgreSQL db without a gateway.

Do you have any alternative brilliant idea to get a solution on this case without using a gateway? 

ps-1: Our dataset is quite tiny so they can replace it from PostgreSQL to anywhere, even to Excel files.

ps-2: I've tried both (ODBC drivers and PBI's direct PostgreSQL connection)

Thanks a lot.

Cuneyt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cuneytkocabiyik 

If your data locates on an on-premises server, you will always need to use a gateway to refresh them on PBI Service. ODBC data sources also need a gateway to refresh.

To refresh the dataset without a gateway, you need to store the data on the Cloud where PBI Service is able to connect directly. You can refer to Power BI data sources - Power BI | Microsoft Docs to see which data sources don't require a gateway.

If you would like to store data in an Excel / CSV file in OneDrive for Business and use it as a data source, you can refer to below links for how to connect to it in Power BI Desktop. In this way, you don't need a gateway.

Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Refresh a dataset created from a .csv file on OneDrive - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cuneytkocabiyik 

If your data locates on an on-premises server, you will always need to use a gateway to refresh them on PBI Service. ODBC data sources also need a gateway to refresh.

To refresh the dataset without a gateway, you need to store the data on the Cloud where PBI Service is able to connect directly. You can refer to Power BI data sources - Power BI | Microsoft Docs to see which data sources don't require a gateway.

If you would like to store data in an Excel / CSV file in OneDrive for Business and use it as a data source, you can refer to below links for how to connect to it in Power BI Desktop. In this way, you don't need a gateway.

Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Refresh a dataset created from a .csv file on OneDrive - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @cuneytkocabiyik 

I would suggest if the files can be exported to OneDrive online you can then use this to then create your PBIX file, which would then not need a gateway to be refreshed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors