Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

admin_xlsior
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Posible error in powerBI.com

Hi guys,

If we have reports, that it was running well in PowerBI dekstop but it is failed in PowerBI. com, what are the possible error that would happen ?

Is there any checklist of things that we should do to track the error ? 

If our datasource is an Azure SQL database, is the error stored in the same database as our main data source in that report ? what the database stored that error log (or any activitiy happended in PowerBI.com during our connection and use ?

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@admin_xlsior  you need to give more information, what has failed exactly?

has it ever been successful before, what are you trying to do, what are you expecting etc.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for replying and I do understand the bias of my question.

However the purpose is exactly as it is, just a general question, when we facing error, in which, it is not a formula / syntax error which pop up during writing process that we can easly understand, so it is typical run time error which resulting Visualization suddenly cannot be displayed at PowerBI Service, is there any log that we can check ? 

I'm not familiar with Azure or this cloud thing, since in the olden days, we can just go through Even Viewer, there we can see System Log or Application Log or Audit log, even in the installation folder of the application it self sometimes has a folder to keep log, and we can look through it to know what is happening.

But if we're going more deep into my exact problem, I have PowerBI reports which using Direct Query. It is connected to Azure database, in which at Power BI desktop, it was no problem, but after published, the visualization returned error :

image.png

And yes, it was ok in earlier time, but somehow now it is not. However, as this is a report that built not only by me and also I'm not the portal admin or powerBI service admin, so it is hard to tell what being change. We're at 90% certain the report is not changed, but still there is the 10% possiblity, and also it maybe the configuration changed, that we would like to know.

So, my intention is, what tools or menu or anything that we can check that elaborate more than the error that PowerBI throw as above. Basicaly is there any error handling procedure to deal with run time error in Power BI Services ?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi @admin_xlsior ,

As the online documentThis is usually a transient issue. If you try again later and you still see this message, contact support.

Support Ticket.gif

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

@admin_xlsior  what error does show technical details show when you click on it?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Hi Vanesa,

Is this one :

image.png

Many thanks for your help.

@admin_xlsior  do you know who has the admin rights?

haven't ever had to do it myself but the audit logs might help

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-auditing

Hi Vanesa,

Yes, actualy I know the person, eventhough we're continent apart. But I think we have to admit that sometimes there is an eternal "silent battle" between software and hardware department. We're sometimes keep arguing who's fault is the error, as I mentioned before, it could be the report has error, but there is also possibility the network configuration has changed. We won't know until the log is opened and let the system it self tell what happened.

But that is another story, the point is, as I mentioned in the beginning, is there an Error handling procedure and a place to check whenever Runtime error arise in Power BI service (PowerBI.com) ? again just like the olden days, we just run Event Viewer in server, and the log tell it self.

The audit log that you're shared I think is one thing. Many thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Hi,

Just some addition, I found a Microsoft docs for this similar error. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-troubleshooting-tile-errors

image.png

A Transient issue ?

I don't know what the meaning by that... only I thought I posted here anyway.

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors