Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CNR
Frequent Visitor

Poor performance when direct querying to an Azure SQL DW

Hi guys,

I am currently working on a project for a client. They have an Azure SQL DW, which stores data from numerous censors in a building they own. We are talking about several 100 million rows. When I try to set up a direct query connection to this DW, either from PBI Service or the desktop, the query time is terrible. I can easily connect to the DW, select tables and even apply filters in the query editor. But once I start dragging measures and columns to the canvas in my workspace, the load time is ENDLESS or tables/charts fail.

My issue is whether PBI is simply not fit to handle such a large amount of data, or whether indexing the rows or pumping up performance in the DW would have any effect.

Do any of you have any experience regarding this matter and can you perhaps share some light on the issue?

Thanks,

Casper

4 REPLIES 4
dsullivan
Regular Visitor

I've had a similar issue and have started just importing the data (which I can do since my data warehouse isn't as massive as yours, at least not yet).  

Have you found a solution?

Hi,

I think performance are also realted to your database subscription.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/sql-database-service-tiers/#understanding-d...

I advise you to try swithching on a premium database.

Tishchenko
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor
Spicer
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have the same issue, I was forced to used import data instead

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors