Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tac
Frequent Visitor

Polling Expression Format

Hi community,

Anyone here has already experienced to override the polling expression when having incremental refresh and cdc enabled?

I've tried to update the original expression:

"pollingExpression": "let MaxTimestamp = List.Max(#\"Main Fact\"[Timestamp]), accountForNull = if MaxTimestamp = null then #datetime(1901, 01, 01, 00, 00, 00) else MaxTimestamp in accountForNull",

By replacing the source query (#Main Fact) to an alternate query containing basically the latest modification date of each partition. This query is filtered by parameters RangeStart/RangeEnd to make sure it returns only one row per partition call. I have saved this with success through an XMLA call with SSMS.

Then, when running a refresh from powerbi.com, the refresh got stuck for 10/15 minutes and nothing happens. No sql query is sent against the server. After a while, I'm getting the following error:

COM error: Microsoft.Data.Mashup, Value cannot be null. Parameter name: json.

Any experience on this? idea/suggestion?

Additionally, when profiling the sql queries sent against the server, I have noticed (with the original pollingExpression setup) there are queries with top 1000 clause that are sent to the server, one per partition. Any idea why such queries are sent to the server ? Note this happens even when refreshing from powerbi.com, this is not related to the schema evaluation happening in PowerBI Desktop.

Thanks for your support

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ @tac  I am also trying to use the Polling Expression to update the historical partitions where delete or update had occurred. But in my case the polling expresson doesn't seem to work. It is not doing anything after I refresh my dataset. Can you let me know what could be the issue?

tac
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Anonymous,

Difficult to diagnose.... Using the SQL profiler would be helpful for you in order to understand if there are queries sent against the server (or any other similar profiler depending on your datasource).

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

The initial issue could be during the first evaluation it is not returning anything?

Secondly the reason that for each partition call or query it first runs the top 1000 is because it always checks the table to make sure it has got the expected columns in the table before completing the entire query only to realize later that there are columns missing. This is by design.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

tac
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion!

I don't think the first execution returns null, as the M expression prevents to return null value by testing and returning a default datetime value.

Note, It seems returning for each execution of the polling expression the same error, as in the output, the error message is concatenated several times, maybe one per partition...

Is there any proper documentation about the polling expression???? It seems quite poor for the time being. Nothing really precise about the usage of this.

The top 1000 behavior really su***.... This is really a poor design in my opinion... What if we have to pay per query? A top 1 would be enough, and only once for all partitions! Really a bit disappointed by this behavior. I hope Microsoft could do something to improve, as this is really annoying to have such queries executed for.... nothing...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors