Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please help: On-Premise and Cloud data

Hi all,

I have a big problem here..

I have created reports with on-premise data (web) and excel sheets from cloud (sharepoint) folder. Right now, the PBIX file is hosted in SharePoint. So the problem is, how can the PBIX file be refreshed automatically since there are also on-premise data?

If I need on-premise gateway, how will it work? I can't have the PBIX and on-premise gateway hosted on MY computer.

What I was thinking is:

1) Have a Virtual Machine

2) Host the PBIX file and the on-premise gateway on the virtual machine. (It's for a big organization, is it required to use the one they have today or something?

3) The reports in Power BI Service will be refresh automatically. 

Please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
healthEteam
Resolver I
Resolver I

Kind of confused by the "on-premise data (web)" phrase.

Is it truly data that is sitting on a physical machine in an office, which to me would be on prem - or is it a web datasource?

If it is truly an on premise datasource then you would need to connect to that datasource in your Power Bi Desktop file, build out your model, publish it to the power bi service.  Then go into your power bi service, download the gateway and place it on a machine that is in the network of the machine that houses the data (doesnt have to be on the server itself).  Configure the data gateway (making SURE that the resource you are pointing to is the exact same name as you used in your power bi desktop file).

When you say "host the pbix file" - do you mean the pc that you use power bi desktop on?  That can be any pc as long as you have access to the datasource.  Once you publish it to your tenant space (Power Bi Service) and the gateway is configured - Power Bi Desktop is out of the picture until you want to change/update your model and republish.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
healthEteam
Resolver I
Resolver I

Kind of confused by the "on-premise data (web)" phrase.

Is it truly data that is sitting on a physical machine in an office, which to me would be on prem - or is it a web datasource?

If it is truly an on premise datasource then you would need to connect to that datasource in your Power Bi Desktop file, build out your model, publish it to the power bi service.  Then go into your power bi service, download the gateway and place it on a machine that is in the network of the machine that houses the data (doesnt have to be on the server itself).  Configure the data gateway (making SURE that the resource you are pointing to is the exact same name as you used in your power bi desktop file).

When you say "host the pbix file" - do you mean the pc that you use power bi desktop on?  That can be any pc as long as you have access to the datasource.  Once you publish it to your tenant space (Power Bi Service) and the gateway is configured - Power Bi Desktop is out of the picture until you want to change/update your model and republish.

Hope that helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @healthEteam

Thank you!

The data I am using is coming from an API, and I'm using the "web" connector in Power BI Desktop.

Now, I have created Power BI reports and published it to Power Bi Service. The PBIX file is in a SharePoint folder. 

We want to have a scheduled refresh on these reports, and since "web" connector is an onpremise source source https://docs.microsoft.com/nb-no/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem#list-of-available-data-source-types

we need to install a gateway. 

So you are suggesting that I can:

1. install a gateway on a machine that is in the network of the machine that houses the data 

2. or I can have it on a virtual machine, if the company have one?

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Anonymous,

Actually, we'd better not install a gateway on a computer, such a laptop, that may be turned off, asleep, or not connected to the Internet because the gateway can't run under any of those circumstances.

You 'd better install the data gateway on the server which won't be turned off and always in the internet.

More details about install on-premise gateway, you could have a good look at this document.

Best Regards,

Cherry

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

The reply of  Greg_Deckler should be useful.

If you have solved your problem, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, typically you would publish the PBIX to the service and install an on-premises gateway (enterprise or personal). This would get data refresh working. Then you would create an embed code for SharePoint for Power BI Modern webpart.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler@v-piga-msft

I know, but the problem is:

1) Where can I host the PBIX and where should I install an on-premise gateway? 

Can I have a virtual machine, and have the gateway install there with the Power BI file?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors