Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pallavi
Helper II
Helper II

Please clarify the following terms and give me a jist of overall structure from SQL / Azure

Power BI Desktop -> It's completely free and all users can create reports using data from SQL Server/Azure SQL in power BI desktop

Power BI Service -> To use this either one should have Power BI Pro/Power BI Premium License and publish developed reports from PowerBI Desktop to Power BI Service that sits on Azure means cloud. i.e while publishing to Power BI Service all data set moves to cloud.

I just want to circulate these reports within the users of my  company and doesn't want to move data set to cloud as all data is sensitive. Does Power BI Report Server facilitates the above criteria?

Gateway -> It stays between power BI Service and on premise database which refreshes data on scheduling.

Will this gateway is used if i go with Azure tabular model which sits on cloud?

How the overall structure should go with security?

3 REPLIES 3
Pallavi
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI Desktop -> It's completely free and all users can create reports using data from SQL Server/Azure SQL in power BI desktop

Power BI Service -> To use this either one should have Power BI Pro/Power BI Premium License and publish developed reports from PowerBI Desktop to Power BI Service that sits on Azure means cloud. i.e while publishing to Power BI Service all data set moves to cloud.

I just want to circulate these reports within the users of my  company and doesn't want to move data set to cloud as all data is sensitive. Does Power BI Report Server facilitates the above criteria?

Gateway -> It stays between power BI Service and on premise database which refreshes data on scheduling.

Will this gateway is used if i go with Azure tabular model which sits on cloud?

How the overall structure should go with security?

@Pallavi Ugh, this question is a couple weeks to early, I have some good blogs coming out to help clarify this.

In any case, you can do this without pushing data into the cloud. Power BI supports this by using Direct Query connection type if you connect directly to the database. And Live connection if you connect using that to the tabular model. In both cases, the data is not imported into the cloud, it stays in the location (db, model) and Power BI just passes queries back and forth.

The gateway is only required for on premises data sources - this includes Azure Iaas. In other cloud sources you do not need a gateway. Hope that helps.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thankyou. Please send us the blog links when they are ready.

What my concern when using direct query is it takes time to refresh data in visualizations for each click/change which do same as SSRS.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors