Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Charlie86
Frequent Visitor

Pipeline Deployment Seetings: replace data source -> invalid rule

Hi 

I have a dataset (deployed with Tabular Editor) in my DEV workspace connected to a data source (Azure SQL DB) in our DEV Enviroment.

I want to apply a data source rule in the pipeline TEST stage. Replace data source from DEV with STG (this is our TEST Enviroment)

Charlie86_2-1628779494120.png

Difference between DEV and TEST: replace "dev" with "stg"

Charlie86_0-1628779452758.png

--> invalid rule
I would appriciate a more specific error message.

SQL DB has different credentials in every Enviroment. Where do I put in the new credentials for STG database?

Can someone help?

Best Regards
Charlie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Charlie86 

If the data source defined in the rule is changed or deleted from the project it points to in the source phase, the rule will be invalid and the deployment will fail. You need to go to the dataset settings in the new app workspace. There you can make sure that the correct parameters are in place and you are logged into the data source.

You can refer to the link below .

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Deployment-pipelines-Parameters-Invalid-Rule/m-p/1173860

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/deployment-pipelines-get-started#step-4---c...

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Charlie86 

Yes it is not easy . Because the dataset itself contains the credential information to access the data source. What you want to change now is the data source, so you have to change credentials in the dataset settings .

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Charlie86 

If the data source defined in the rule is changed or deleted from the project it points to in the source phase, the rule will be invalid and the deployment will fail. You need to go to the dataset settings in the new app workspace. There you can make sure that the correct parameters are in place and you are logged into the data source.

You can refer to the link below .

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Deployment-pipelines-Parameters-Invalid-Rule/m-p/1173860

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/deployment-pipelines-get-started#step-4---c...

Best Regards

Did you find a way for this

Hi  @v-yetao1-msft 
Thanks for your Answer.

Dataset Settings "Data source credentials": there i can change my credentials but not the server name & database:

Charlie86_0-1629183654286.png

Dataset Settings "Parameters": have to set them in query editor.

Charlie86_1-1629183654290.png

So I changed my dataset in PowerBI-Desktop from live connection to Direct Query. I added the parameteres in Query Editor and republished the dataset to the service. I can edit parameters now...

Charlie86_2-1629183654293.png

If I go to dataset settings: "data source credentials":
server & database are still greyed out and the server changed from azure sql server to something else (?).

Charlie86_3-1629183654295.png

I think I have to dig deeper.

I was hopping that I can easily change sources in the different pipeline stages. But it seems that this is not so easy.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors