Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jofoster
Employee
Employee

Pinning a "live" text box to multiple dashboards

My scenario requires me to pin a text tile to multiple dashboards.  The goal is for whenever that tile is updated, the dashbaords would be updated as well.   This does not seem to work.  Pinning a text tile seems to just pin a static representation of that tile at a point in time. Appreciate advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jofoster
Employee
Employee

I ended up creating an excel with the text and refreshing a Table in PowerBi.   There was not an easier approach that anyone offered,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jofoster
Employee
Employee

I ended up creating an excel with the text and refreshing a Table in PowerBi.   There was not an easier approach that anyone offered,

jofoster
Employee
Employee

I want to pin a text tile to multiple dashboards and have any changes to the text propagate to all the dashbaords it is pinned to. I have not been successful. It seems the tiles only pin static point in time content.  Appreciate the help

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

What you will need to do is to create the text as a measure. Which will then allow the measure to be updated every time the dataset is refreshed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

thank you for the reply.  There will be numerous people updating the text, so I am looking for as simple entry point. Could you give me a little more to point me in the right direction.   I am envisioning creating a report with a text box. Can I make a text box a measure? thanks

Hi there,

You could create the following text measure below and use the card visual to display it.

My Text Measure = "My report name"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

so I create a measure as follows:  Test Report = "this is sample text. but the only way to edit it is to change the measure. that is too complicated."

But I remained confused on the editing process. Would the user have to go into PowerBi desktop and edit the measure?  That is more complicated than realistic for my scenario. I want to be enable users to change text from their own dashboards or underlying reports without having to go to the desktop environment.  And have their changes automatically flow into the various dashboards the text is pinned to.  Is that possible?

Sorry if my questions are basic.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors