Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pin visual icon is greyed out inactive

Hi Experts,

I have published an app which has reports , in these reports there are visuals and i am trying to pin some of these visuals from different reports to a dashboard however the icon is greyed out. The same reports in a workspace work fine and the icons is active.
I would like my users to be able to create their own dashboard. Is this by design or am i missing something ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

d15.PNG

Yes, even if you give the user the build permission of the dataset in the App, it is useless. Because the user does not have edit permission of the report.

But there are two ways to solve this problem:

1. You can invite the user into the workspace and give him edit permission (as long as it is not Viewer role.), in this case, the user does not need to install the App.

2. If you do not want to invite users to enter the workspace, you can give users permission to copy reports.

d16.PNG

After installing your app, users can copy the report to their own workspace and then pin a tile.

d17.PNG

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
mihart
Employee
Employee

hi @Anonymous  @Anonymous 

Yes, you can do this. 

When you create the workspace, make sure you give ACCESS to the users who you want to do pinning. Give them the highest access that makes sense.  If you give them "Viewer", they will not be able to pin.   Then, when you publish the app, for those same users, make sure to give them the build and reshare permissions (checkboxes on the 3rd tab "Permissions".  

The users will be able to open the workspace and access the report from there. They will also have access through "Shared with me". They will also be able to open the app.  Just remember, that the ACCESS is for the workspace and the PERMISSIONS are for the app.  Have to admit, I'm not sure they'll be able to pin from all of those report locations, but from at least one they will.  They'll also be able to copy the report.

HTH

Michele

oh, the workspace has to be either 1) in Premium capacity or the users need to have Pro licenses. It's easy to get trial Pro licenses, ping me back if you need help with that. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mihart , the users already have the Pro licence. However i think giving them access to Workspace to do the dashboarding and permission to the app for report consumption is only going to confuse my users.
I feel creating a dashboards give user the ability to choose change what they want and it should not be a limitation in Power BI app experience.

Hi @Anonymous @Anonymous 

I suggest that you use apps when distributing to a wide audience and just expect them to consume the data.

And, I suggest that you use workspaces and share with people with whom you want to collaborate. 

THere is no need to do both. 

Since it sounds like you want to collaborate with your colleagues, just share the workspace and don't bother creating an app.

HTH

Michele

Hi @Anonymous ,

d15.PNG

Yes, even if you give the user the build permission of the dataset in the App, it is useless. Because the user does not have edit permission of the report.

But there are two ways to solve this problem:

1. You can invite the user into the workspace and give him edit permission (as long as it is not Viewer role.), in this case, the user does not need to install the App.

2. If you do not want to invite users to enter the workspace, you can give users permission to copy reports.

d16.PNG

After installing your app, users can copy the report to their own workspace and then pin a tile.

d17.PNG

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-lionel-msft  i follow you, however try to think it from a user's perspective. Why would he want to bounce between the published app and "My Workspace"?

Hi @Anonymous ,

Maybe you would like to submit an idea .

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Hi @Anonymous ,

I suggest that it's an either/or situation.

1. if you want to distribute content to a wide audience, for them to consumer the info.  Use an app.

2. if you want to collaborate with a small group of users who will comment, share, build dashboards, make copies, make changest to reports and dashboards, etc...  Use a workspace.  

It's your choice.  In this case, don't publish an app, just use a workspace.

HTH

Michele

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Right, I do not believe you can do that from an App, only from a report in a workspace.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

hmm, i think microsoft should enable that feature for apps then because they promote sharing content with users using app and its an important feature for user to create their own personalized dashboards.

Is there an idea already on this ? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors