Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jorgedelarosa85

Pin Tiles from my Reports to Dashaboard created by different user.

Hello.

I have a couple Reports created by my own, and I want to pin these reports on one Dashboard created by different user. Is it possible?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
chbraun
Helper I
Helper I

Yes, using 'Shared Datasets" (which were released recently, see Power BI blog) you can do that. I am assuming that the dashboard is in a different workspace than your reports, right?

There are two ways you can do that:

1) If you are a member of both workspaces (i.e. the workspace that contains your report and the report that contains the dashboard) then you can use the new "Copy Report" function to copy the report into the dashboard workspace. This will only copy the report - the dataset remains in the original workspace and the report copy in the dashboard workspace is still connected to that dataset. Once copied, you can simply pin tiles from the report to the dashboard.

2) If you are not a member of the dashboard workspace, you can publish your reports as an app. Put a member of the dashboard workspace on the permission list and check the (new) checkbox "Allow users to make a copy of the reports in this app" in the app publish experience. This enables that person to make a copy of the report into their My Workspace and then from there they can copy it into the dashboard workspace. As above, the copy of the report is still connected to the dataset in the original workspace (i.e. it is being used as a "shared dataset").

Note that both, the report workspace and the dashboard workspace, need to be "modern workspaces", i.e. they need to have the new workspace experience.

This way you can now build dashboards that contain data from reports across a number for workspaces. The only drawback is that the report copies don't get updated when the original report changes; if that happens you have to run through the copy process again. 

HTH

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
chbraun
Helper I
Helper I

Yes, using 'Shared Datasets" (which were released recently, see Power BI blog) you can do that. I am assuming that the dashboard is in a different workspace than your reports, right?

There are two ways you can do that:

1) If you are a member of both workspaces (i.e. the workspace that contains your report and the report that contains the dashboard) then you can use the new "Copy Report" function to copy the report into the dashboard workspace. This will only copy the report - the dataset remains in the original workspace and the report copy in the dashboard workspace is still connected to that dataset. Once copied, you can simply pin tiles from the report to the dashboard.

2) If you are not a member of the dashboard workspace, you can publish your reports as an app. Put a member of the dashboard workspace on the permission list and check the (new) checkbox "Allow users to make a copy of the reports in this app" in the app publish experience. This enables that person to make a copy of the report into their My Workspace and then from there they can copy it into the dashboard workspace. As above, the copy of the report is still connected to the dataset in the original workspace (i.e. it is being used as a "shared dataset").

Note that both, the report workspace and the dashboard workspace, need to be "modern workspaces", i.e. they need to have the new workspace experience.

This way you can now build dashboards that contain data from reports across a number for workspaces. The only drawback is that the report copies don't get updated when the original report changes; if that happens you have to run through the copy process again. 

HTH

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors