Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rjhartop
Helper II
Helper II

'Personalise this visual' options show deleted Power BI Dataset tables

Deleted tables in a Power BI dataset still appear in a report's 'Personalise this visual' options. The deleted tables have a warning icon next to them though they shouldn't show at all. Using a Perspetive to try and filter the deleted tables out doesn't work.

13 REPLIES 13
jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hey rjhartop, I found your topic, and noticed it did not have a solution, but I believe I found it.

First, why does this happen? Well for me this happened with measures that I created in the report file, after which I created a measure with an identical name in the dataset file (I use a powerBI file als my dataset, and another as my report).

This basically causes a duplicate measure to exist once you refresh your report file. For some reason, you cannot then delete this measure (this seems like a bug) and it will show up in any perspective that you create. Now you probably went a step further, and deleted the actual table from the model in your dataset file. This causes the whole table to disappear in both your report and dataset file. However, under water the report file wasn't able to remove the formerly duplicate measure from the report file, so it still exists, even though you cannot see it anywhere. 

So what is the solution?
1. You will need to recreate a table (you can just use "enter data"for this) with the exact same name as your deleted table, in your dataset file.
2. You need to then upload that to powerbi, and refresh your report file so it now has that table in there too.
3. And what do you know, it also shows that invisible measure! You can now delete that measure, save your report file.
4. Then go back to your dataset file, and delete the table. You have now successfully removed the measure from the report file!

For measures that are duplicated, you should:
1. rename the measure in your dataset file temporarily.
2. Publish the dataset to the cloud.
3. Refresh your report file. You will see the warning symbol disappear.

4. Delete the measure from your report file, save

5. rename the measure in your dataset file back to the original, save.

Now it's fixed!

@jaap_olsthoorn You are genius

rjhartop
Helper II
Helper II

Deleted tables and columns are still visible

rjhartop
Helper II
Helper II

That is odd. The issue is still not resolved. I have the latest version on Power Bi Desktop automatically downloaded from the store.

The deleted tables also show up in the Edit portal of a Power BI service report.

image.png

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rjhartop 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept the helpful reply as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file from your Onedrive for Business.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

rjhartop
Helper II
Helper II

No tables use or used direct query., I believe all the deleted tables which still appear were custom tables written in DAX i.e. CALCULATETABLE(...).

Hi @rjhartop 

Please try to republish your report from desktop to service.

I have a test that build a calculated tableA by dax (calculatetable) delete tableA after I publish the report to service.

Personalize visual option works well, it won't show the dax tables which have been deleted.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hi

I have republished the report and it still shows the deleted tables.

Out of curiosity in the test folder could you create a measure in a table that will be kept. The measure should reference a DAX table that will go on to be deleted. Once the DAX measure is created remove the DAX table it references but leave the measure in the table. Publish to service and inspect.

I don't know for sure if this is what is causing deleted tables to show for me though would be interested to know your experience.

Cheers

Hi @rjhartop 

I tried the steps like yours. Sheet12 is the table I will keep which is imported from Excel. Table A is a Dax Table.

I build a measure in Sheet12 which will use the column in TableA.

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet12[POP]),FILTER(ALL(Sheet12),Sheet12[Country]=MAX(A[Country])))

Delete Table A after I publish the report. Then republish the report.

My personalize visual works well.

1.png

Please check your desktop version. If it is not the latest version (2.87.1061.0), please upgrade it and try again.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

I have the latest version of desktop downloaded automatically from the store. 

The deleted tables also show up in the Edit portal of a Power BI service report so it is not just a personalise visuals issue.image.png

rjhartop
Helper II
Helper II

Error with Personalise this visual.png

I believe they are all DAX created tables (post Power Query load). Direct query is not enabled on any tables. It is possible that there are some measures that still refernence these now deleted tables. These measures could have been created in the Power Bi dataset or in the report that links to the Power Bi dataset.

Hi @rjhartop 

Did you mean that you get data by directquery in desktop and delete the table in data source after you publish your report on Service. Then you refresh your dataset and report. In Personalise the visual option you can still see the table which has been deleted with warning icon.

I have a test that build a report with two tables school and C1 by Direct Query.

Then delete C1 from data srouce after I publish this report on Service.

Refresh the dataset and report, I still can see C1 table's model in dataset and Personalise the visual option.

Dateset:

1.png

Personalise the visual:

2.png

Direct query connection will not import the all data model into power bi service but it will save the table's matadata like the column headers into service that's why we can see the columns after we delete it from data source.

You can try to delete the tables in desktop and republish it again.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rjhartop 

What kind of data connection mode did you use?

I have a test on import mode, and my data source is an Excel.

I have Table1 and Table2 in my report.

I try to delete Table2 in desktop and publish it again.

Then turn on Personalise this visual feature in report setting.

The option works well and I won't see the table I deleted.

Please show me a screenshot of your issue.

Please try to refresh your dataset, report and your browser, it may work.

Here is a blog may help you: Personalize visuals in a report

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors