Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

VL22
Advocate I
Advocate I

Personal workspace auditing

Hi,

I have concerns for the "reshare" permission in My workspace. After searching, it seems like that there is no way to limit the sharing to specific people in My workspace. I read some posts regarding audit the Power BI activities. If the amount of shared report is low, it's easy to track and tell the people to remove the sharing. However, when the volume become high, it's really time consuming to track it. In your practice, I wonder how you audit the sharing activities and if you have any reactions after auditing someone shares some reports. Thank you so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @VL22

Currently, there is no option to only prevent sharing from My workspace. For such kind of needs, please vote for similar ideas in Power BI Ideas. It’s a place where the product group collects suggestions from users to improve this product.  Here are the links of similar ideas: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=4e26c237-2696-4222-99dc-f562983136a4 and https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/search-ideas/?q=disable%20share%20from%20my%20workspace.

Also, you may consider allowing only part of users to share content by the option Allow shareable links to grant access to everyone in your organization in Tenant settings of Admin portal.

vcazhengmsft_0-1655714797964.png

To audit the share activities, you could consider Audit logs. For more details, you could refer to Track user activities in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

vcazhengmsft_1-1655714797967.png

vcazhengmsft_2-1655714797975.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @VL22

Currently, there is no option to only prevent sharing from My workspace. For such kind of needs, please vote for similar ideas in Power BI Ideas. It’s a place where the product group collects suggestions from users to improve this product.  Here are the links of similar ideas: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=4e26c237-2696-4222-99dc-f562983136a4 and https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/search-ideas/?q=disable%20share%20from%20my%20workspace.

Also, you may consider allowing only part of users to share content by the option Allow shareable links to grant access to everyone in your organization in Tenant settings of Admin portal.

vcazhengmsft_0-1655714797964.png

To audit the share activities, you could consider Audit logs. For more details, you could refer to Track user activities in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

vcazhengmsft_1-1655714797967.png

vcazhengmsft_2-1655714797975.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Hi @v-cazheng-msft ,

Thank you for your reply. I wonder if there is any alert we can set if audit some particular Power BI activities such as sharing in personal workspace. Thank you!

Best regards,

V

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey when you said sharing acticities, what kind of activities in your mind and you want to track?

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'd like to prevent all of the report, dashboard, dataset sharing in personal workspace(My workspace).

For example, I can disable sharing with "People in your organization", but I cannot disable sharing with "Specific people," "People with existing acess," or "Direct Acess." Thus, I wonder 1: if there is a way to prevent this kind of sharing in personal workspace. 2: If your company is auditing for this kind of sharing, what is your practice? Thank you so much! 

VL22_0-1655394465327.png

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @VL22 

What I would suggest doing is to restrict the resharing of reports and dashboards. This should help stop some of the resharing.

The only other option is as you said the audit log, and create a report which send this through on a daily basis.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ ,

May I know if you have any idea how to restrict reshare in personal workspace? Thank you.

Hi @VL22 

As far as I know currently there is no way to do this.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors