Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ashish_pradhan
Regular Visitor

Personal Gateway

I have Two Servers. One Sql server and one Windows server. I want to perform Scheduled Refresh On my dashboards. I have installed Personal Gateway. In Data source credentials It is asking For Basic or Windows Without Impersonation Mode Authentication.

Can anybody Please tell me when to use these two modes of authentication? I want to perform scheduled refresh without logging in to the power bi portal. But if Refreshes only when logged in.

My SQL Data source is not in Local server. When I update anything in SQL Server, It is not reflecting in Dashboards if I Select "Windows Without Impersonation" mode. And If I select Basic Authentication, It is failing to connect to data source Even if i am trying to connect it with Admin Credentials.

Can anyone help me in this issue?

4 REPLIES 4
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@ashish_pradhan

Did you install the personal gateway on the machine where SQL server is installed? If yes, you only need to open app.powerbi.com in that machine and use Windows Without Impersonation Mode Authentication. Please also make sure you've signed into the personal gateway with the same user which you used to sign into Power BI Service. At last, you just need to enable scheduled refresh, and set the refresh time.

To make it clear, I recorded a video as below. Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
Herbert

When I select WindowsWithoutImpersonation It doesn't perform scheduled refresh unless I Login to Power BI Service. My Requirement is that, It should perform scheduled refresh even if I m not logged in to the server. 

What should I do?

@ashish_pradhan

You would want to choose Basic if you are going to use SQL Authentication instead of Windows Authentication.

The scheduled refresh should also happen at the defined time even if you don't sign into Power BI Service. You just need to make sure that the gateway is running on your server.

Best Regards,
Herbert

When Should we use Basic Authentication then?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors