Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Personal Gateway wont go away

Hi

I orginally installed the personal gateway on my PC.  Later I uninstalled it and installed the enterprise gateway.  The Enterprise Gateway has been woking fine but the Personal Gateway was always visible from the Service with a message "offline".  A couple of weeks ago I followed this advice to uninstall the personal gateway

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Cached-gateway-won-t-go-away/td-p/81100

It didn't work.

After that, I loaded a new dataset to the service.  The new dataset has the Enterprise Gateway 'greyed out' and the personal gateway "offline".  There is no way for me to select the enterprise gateway for this dataset.  This is despite me having another 5 data sets all working fine of the enterprise gateway.

I just uninstalled the personal gateway again and also reinstalled the latest version of the enterprise gateway. I  then rebooted the machine - no change. 

So 2 questions.

1. How can I make my new dataset use the enterprise gateway that is already installed and working for 5 other datasets?

2. How can I get rid of the personal gateway ghost.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Problem Solved.  I ran into Dimah Zaidalkilani at the MVP conference and she helped me sort the problem. For the record, the reason I couldn't connect to my gateway with my new data set was becuase I had a rouge XSLX file in the workbook that did not have a valid gateway config.  Trouble is that there is nothing telling you that the reason the gateway is greyed out is that there is a missing configuration.  

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MattAllington,

To your questions:

1. There is no way to move from using the personal gateway to the enterprise one. The only way is to add this data source to a new enterprise gateway (not the original enterprise gateway that is working for 5 other datasets). Then, when setting this dataset, you can select Enterprise Gateway rather than Personal Gateway.
  2. It looks like an issue that we can't get rid of the personal gateway option completely after uninstalling and it will display with the "offline" state. 

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That seems strange. So I have an enterprise gateway installed on the machine and it is working for 5 data sets. Are you saying I need to install a second enterprise gateway on the machine for the 6th data set?

Hi @MattAllington,

If your new dataset has the same datasource name with enterprise gateway, then you don't need to add a second gateway. 

Please check:

1.PNG2.PNG

Thanks,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That is exactly what I expect - I should not need to add a new data gateway.

Here is one of the five that works https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30711565/works.png

Here is the one that doesn't work.  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30711565/doesnt.png

It is the same environment, but the new datasets do not detect the working gateway

If you look at the images linked above, you will see this issue is not resolved.

Problem Solved.  I ran into Dimah Zaidalkilani at the MVP conference and she helped me sort the problem. For the record, the reason I couldn't connect to my gateway with my new data set was becuase I had a rouge XSLX file in the workbook that did not have a valid gateway config.  Trouble is that there is nothing telling you that the reason the gateway is greyed out is that there is a missing configuration.  

Ok I finally solved this.  I already had a connection to the Enterprise Gateway, but I had to remove the datasource and re-add it.  My datasource for my dataset was from a SQL script provided to me by another person.   That person's script had the database name in all lowercase letters, where I noticed that the existing datasource as defined in the existing Enterprise Gateway connection was a mix of upper and lowercase letters.  This thing is apparently case sensitive, so once I deleted the datasource in the EG connection and rebuilt it using the same case, it enabled the button to repoint the refresh to the EG.  Happy days!  This was driving me crazy, hope this guidance helps others.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors