Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal Gateway with DirectQuery?

Hi,

I've been trying to make the Personal Gateway to show up in the dataset settings for a while and couldn't figure it out why it did show up in some reports but didn't in others!

Now I have figured it out! Apparently, if I switch from DirectQuery to Import mode the Personal Gateway does show up in the list and I can use it.

So, how can I make the Personal Gateway also show up in my DirectQuery reports/datasets and not just the Import ones?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Joseph_B
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I belive you haven't solve this issue yet.

Maybe a hint might be in documentation of using personal gateway.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-personal-mode

When you are selecting that you want to install On-premises data gateway in personal mode, one of the points below is that only schedule refresh is supported.

Scheduled refresh is working with import mode, not with direct query or live connections.

Thanks

henriquesilveir
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

@Anonymous Hello, have you configured yours credentials into powerbi.app ? 

Below an article about gateway personal: https://docs.microsoft.com/pt-br/power-bi/service-gateway-personal-mode

The personal works like a application... because this, when you import, you set all credentials and it works fine. Now, to work into direct query, you need configure yours credentials into Power BI Service.

Let me know if you solve this problem, waiting on you! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe I'm logged in in both the Power BI app and the Personal Gateway app?

Unless there's some hidden place where I need to enter my credentials?

1. In Power BI Desktop, when I open the menu it shows "Sign Out" button and on the top right of the app it shows my name - I guess I'm logged in.

2. In Power BI Desktop, when I open the menu and select "Options and settings" and then "Data source settings", there is one database in the list, if I click on it and select "Edit Permissions..." it says I'm logged in with my Windows credentials. Another tick!

3. In the Personal Gateway app, right after I installed it, it asked me to sign in. If I open the app now it doesn't show my name or an option to sign out or sign in. But I definitely put my credentials right after installing it!

So far I can think of the above 3 places! Not sure if there's another place I need to check?

@Anonymous you need to enter your credetials at dataset in the Power BI APP (Cloud), take a look below:

you need set up here: (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-personal-mode)

Choose your personal data gateway, it the place off 'install' , below have 'data source credentials' when you set this 2 steps , it will work. 

I've attached the article that have the complete solution for personal gateway.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, I see! That's what I meant, that it doesn't show up. 🙂

This is the dataset for my report that uses Import:

dataset_with_import.png

As you can see the Personal Gateway is shining bright like a diamond!

And here is the dataset for the report that uses DirectQuery:

dataset_with_directquery.png

In here the children only heard stories of the Personal Gateway' existence but have never seen it with their own eyes.

OK. after this it aren't work ? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see an "Install Now" option or anything to choose the Personal Gateway. 😐

It works with the reports that use Import, but the Personal Gateway doesn't appear for reports using DirectQuery.

understood... question.. the server with direct query, have you acess there ? 

option, install a data gateway on server or personal.. it will be available for you, i absoluty sure about that! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean I have credentials to access the SQL Server to run queries, but I don't have access to the actual server to install/uninstall things.

Personal Gateway is very useful as I can access files from my PC AND also access the SQL Server. 🙂

If only it could work with DirectQuery!

I have the same problem. Gateway personal worked for import dataset, but not directquery dataset. Have you solved this gateway issue? Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors