Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal Gateway shutting down while computer is on

We have both a personal and on-premise gateway set up on a Virtual Machine.

I have noticed that during random points in the week the personal gateway seems to shut down. We can get it back up by remoting into the VM, however we do not need to open or restart anything from there. 

The reports cannot be moved to the on-premise gateway as they are using R connections. 

The on-premise gateway has not been down at this time, suggesting the computer is still on and we have updated versions of both gateways so it should not be due to outdated versioning. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on solving this? Or any ideas on why the issue is occuring? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Maybe this is the cause.

The on-premises data gateway (personal mode) can run only as an application. When your personal login account goes offline, the personal gateway is offline. You need to log in again to wake up the personal gateway.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Is this problem sloved?

If it is sloved, could you kindly accept it as a solution to close this case?  

If not, please let me know.  

Best Regards
Icey
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for that insight.

It looks like it is a combination of the personal gateway running as an application and our IT team setting an automatic sleep from their side. 

Thanks,

Rubina

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Maybe this is the cause.

The on-premises data gateway (personal mode) can run only as an application. When your personal login account goes offline, the personal gateway is offline. You need to log in again to wake up the personal gateway.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Icey ,

You're suggesting that the personal gateway runs as an application and the on-premise runs as a service. So when the VM sleeps/goes offline only the application is stopped but the service can run with an offline account.

That is a super interesting idea, I'll look to see if there's a way to confirm.

Unrelatedly odd, is that the power settings on the VM are set to never sleep but I have seen it go to the lock screen before.

Thanks for the idea and reference 

Let us know if you find a solution, it would be good for others to know.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Are there any settings on the VM that is possibly putting it to sleep?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

None that we have been able to see, I have tried keeping and ending the connection to determine if there is a distinct time period during which it shuts down with no results. Additionally to my understanding, the VM sleeping should not result in shutting down the gateway?

Hi there

If my laptop goes to sleep it does turn everything off, possibly the same thing is happening on the VM?

Maybe a scheduled task could be doing this?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors