Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powerbipat
Frequent Visitor

Personal Gateway issue

Hello,

I am not able to refresh the data from the cloud using personal gateway. I created a report using Power BI desktop (Import data) against a On-Prem SQL   database  and published it to the cloud. I downloaded the latest version of Personal Gateway and was able to install it without any issues.

But when I tried to refresh the data from the cloud I got this error
"Failed to update data source credentials: GatewayOfflineHide details

Under the "Gateway Connection" I do see the gateway status as Online.

Also when I tried to edit the data source connection (under Data source credentials) with Windows Authentication and clicked "Sign in" it would keep spinning and finally showed the same error message "Failed to update data source credentials: GatewayOffline".

But when I launched the Data Management Gateway Configuration Manager (C:\Program Files\Power BI Gateway - Personal\1.0\Shared\ConfigManager.exe) and tried to "test" the connection from the gateway to on-prem data source I got the error "Signing credential failed because the gateway is not online".

Since we use proxy server I modified the config files to inherit the default proxy setting.

<defaultProxy enabled="true" useDefaultCredentials="true">
<proxy
usesystemdefault="true"
proxyaddress="http://XXXproxy:80"
bypassonlocal="true"
/>
</defaultProxy>
a
These were the config files I modified.

C:\Program Files\Power BI Gateway - Personal\1.0\Configurator\GWConfig.exe.config
C:\Program Files\Power BI Gateway - Personal\1.0\Configurator\PowerBIGatewayAgentCmdLine.exe.config
C:\Program Files\Power BI Gateway - Personal\1.0\Gateway\diawp.exe.config
C:\Program Files\Power BI Gateway - Personal\1.0\Shared\diahost.exe.config
C:\Program Files\Power BI Gateway - Personal\1.0\Shared\diacmd.exe.config

Any suggestions what  could be wrong? I  also opened a SR with Microsoft  few weeks ago but I have not had any luck with the advice I got.

I know PowerBI documentation says we only need to  open outbound ports from the company network to the cloud. Is there  any requirement to allow inbound traffic from the cloud to the company network ? 

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Most times the gateway issues are best solved by uninstalling all instances and doing a clean installation. Make sure you update both desktop and the gateway as for some reason, my issues only appear when both are not the same version (ie newest). Once you do a clean install you may have to reverify your credentials but it should fix the problem.

You can also check to see if the gateway is running in the task manager of your computer. If it isn't, find the icon in the start menu and activate it manually if you are unable to complete a clean install at this time.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Yes I reinstalled both the desktop and Personal Gateway. Yes  i can see the personal gateway running (diahost.exe).

PowerBI desktop version - 2.35.4399.381

Personal gateway version - 1.12.5989.1

@powerbipat

Have you uninstalled the gateway and completed a clean install? i once had this happen after an update and the problem was that the installation process was interupted and my credentials were not captured. When I removed it and installed it again, it allowed for their entry. It would not allow me to edit them until I removed the gateway and did a clean installation.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@kcantor

I confirmed this is a proxy server related issue. I was able to refresh the data using my personal gateway when I used a wireless connection that does not go through the proxy server.

Hi @powerbipat,

As you have found the issue is related to proxy server, I'm afraid we can't help much on Power BI forum side. I would suggest you ask network administrator for help to go deep. Or you can open a support ticket to get dedicated support.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@kcantor

Yes,  I  did uninstall it cleanly and did an installation of the latest gateway

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors