Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal Gateway Upgrade - is a bad user experience

Common, guys, you can do better than this!

Instead of "Next-next-next-done" upgrade,  I've been on this for two hours....

And still no luck 😞

This is a bad user experience...

gateway.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous Did the log files load, and is there anything in them that would identify the issue? Is this the first time you've installed a gateway on the machine, have you made sure the machine meets all the criteria and has the appropriate ports open etc? https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-personal-gateway/

Installer logs

%localappdata%\Temp\On-premises_data_gateway_*.log

Configuration logs

%localappdata%\Microsoft\on-premises data gateway\GatewayConfigurator*.log

On-premises data gateway service logs

C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\on-premises data gateway\Gateway*.log

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Anonymous Did the log files load, and is there anything in them that would identify the issue? Is this the first time you've installed a gateway on the machine, have you made sure the machine meets all the criteria and has the appropriate ports open etc? https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-personal-gateway/

Installer logs

%localappdata%\Temp\On-premises_data_gateway_*.log

Configuration logs

%localappdata%\Microsoft\on-premises data gateway\GatewayConfigurator*.log

On-premises data gateway service logs

C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\on-premises data gateway\Gateway*.log

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seth_C_Bauer Thank you for responding.

I had a Persoal Gateway installed and worked good.

I've upgraded to the new "Personal mode" gateway because I saw a notice that the old was to expire on 31 July 2017.

During the installation it requires to sign-in, but it always returns an error:

"This request operation sent to net.pipe://localhost/powerbi/personalgatewayconfiguration/service did not receive a reply within the configured timeout (00:01:00).  The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.  This may be because the service is still processing the operation or because the service was unable to send a reply message.  Please consider increasing the operation timeout (by casting the channel/proxy to IContextChannel and setting the OperationTimeout property) and ensure that the service is able to connect to the client."

What do I do? All my refreshes has stopped...

Please help

Thank you

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seth_C_Bauer

Just an update on this issue:

We've been able to solve it - the problem was in the Firewall.

Thank you for your help!

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors