Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

keithdbates
Frequent Visitor

Personal Gateway - Unable to Save Credentials - Blank Password

Hello,

I have a personal gateway refreshing a dataset based on two data sources.  One is a sharepoint online site and the other is an ODBC connection to a Progress DB.  Up until last week the refresh was working correctly.  As of this week the personal gateway seems to have lost the crednetials to the ODBC source.  That credential happens to be a username only with a blank password.  Refreshes from the desktop tool work successfully, and the ODBC connection on my pc tests just fine.  Is anyone aware of some change or issue utilizing a blank or null password when refreshing through the personal gateway? Again, nothing changed on the credentials last week to this week.  I did update my gateway software as well as the desktop software and republish the dataset.  All power bi software is at latest version.

Thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7
keithdbates
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I have a personal gateway refreshing a dataset based on two data sources.  One is a sharepoint online site and the other is an ODBC connection to a Progress DB.  Up until last week the refresh was working correctly.  As of this week the personal gateway seems to have lost the crednetials to the ODBC source.  That credential happens to be a username only with a blank password.  Refreshes from the desktop tool work successfully, and the ODBC connection on my pc tests just fine.  Is anyone aware of some change or issue utilizing a blank or null password when refreshing through the personal gateway? Again, nothing changed on the credentials last week to this week.  I did update my gateway software as well as the desktop software and republish the dataset.  All power bi software is at latest version.

Thoughts?

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @keithdbates,

Try to sign in using your account and password, and check if it works fine. Could you please share a screenshot for use?

Best Regards,
Angelia

@v-huizhn-msft The error occurs when trying to enter the credentials that worked previously (and still work when using Power BI Desktop and/or any other tool to the DB using ODBC connection).  Only the PowerBI Gateway is failing.  Here is the error: error.png

Hi @keithdbates,

You edit the data resource credentials, right? If it is, please use the OAuth2 authentication instead of the Basic authentication method.

Best Regards,
Angelia

hi @v-huizhn-msft

Yes, i edited the data source and entered credentials.  Unfortunately an ODBC data source to a Progress DB does not have OAuth2 as an option.  Only Windows and Basic.  The Windows option does not have valid credentials.  Our source owners have only provided basic DB username options at this time.  Any other ideas?

Keith

@keithdbates Not to be coy, but - try setting a password... I'm surprised it worked without one initially...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer i completely agree! Unfortunately i don't own/administer this data source and the credential decisions are out of my control.  Its too bad that this was working fine for 12 months and suddenly it has stopped.  I have a case open with Microsoft now on this as well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors