Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cbailiss
Advocate II
Advocate II

Personal Gateway: On-Prem File Refresh and UNC Paths

Hello

I have a Power BI model (pbix file) that sources data from a TXT file.  When the model is uploaded into Power BI Online, I am able to refresh the data via the Personal Gateway from the TXT file on my local hard disk (C drive).  

If the model instead points at the same file in a network share, I am unable to set the credentials in Power BI online to perform the refresh.  I have tried both the UNC path (\\server\share\...) to the file and the mapped drive path (H:\...).  The error I receive in Power BI Online is "Failed to update data source credentials: We are unable to connect to the data source. Please ensure that data source is accessible.  The network path was not found.".

Is this a supported scenario (using UNC paths?).  Has anyone else got this working?

The Personal Gateway is the latest version.  It is running under my domain account, which does have access to the share (i.e. it is the same account I log into my machine as and I can browse to the share in Windows Explorer and open/edit the files).

I have looked in the event logs for any issues, but absolutely nothing is logged.  Is there some additional logging that can be enabled?

Thanks

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For the benefit of other people, I put this question to Microsoft and received the following answer:

"The Personal Gateway does not support network access, so UNC paths are not parsed (even if they refer to the local machine). The Enterprise Gateway may support this functionality in future releases. The current approach is to put required flat files in SharePoint Online or OneDrive"

Chris

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Chrisjr
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hello @cbailiss @Greg_Deckler , 

Does the personal gateway still not support UNC paths? 

Thanks

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I have not been able to get a UNC path to work personally. Been a while since I tried, but no dice. I *believe* that I was able to successfully map a drive to the network path and use that but I would have to double check.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for the reply.

It would be great if someone from the product team could comment on this (i.e. what is supported and what isn't).

At the moment I have seen nothing in the documentation that says whether this scenario is supported or not,

i.e.

Local Files = Supported

UNC Paths = ?

Mapped Network Drives = ?

Also, does the above vary by file type (e.g. under the covers, does the Gateway use the Access Database Engine to read Excel Files, which might mean the supported scenarios for Excel files differ to CSV/TXT files).

Thanks

Chris

Chris

For the benefit of other people, I put this question to Microsoft and received the following answer:

"The Personal Gateway does not support network access, so UNC paths are not parsed (even if they refer to the local machine). The Enterprise Gateway may support this functionality in future releases. The current approach is to put required flat files in SharePoint Online or OneDrive"

Chris

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors