Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal Gateway Issue - Cannot manual refresh by other admin accounts in the workspace

Hi,

Due to some limitation, my company can only use personal gateway to refresh PBI reports. For schedule refreshing mode, everything works fine.

However, if we would like to manually refresh the report on demand, we found that it is only successful by using the published account, other admin accounts in the workspace are fail to manual refresh it.

Below is the screen shot of the failure message and actually my personal gateway is confirmed online.

Refresh failed due to gateway configuration issues.
This dataset requires a properly configured gateway in order to refresh.

If you're using personal mode, please make sure your gateway is online.

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID: a0586310-6337-436f-a55c-0e8070215d05
Request ID: 8b2739e9-227b-95e5-aee8-2bb551b34337
Correlation ID: b4891c53-5fb6-f542-4b02-a320bbaada57
Time: Tue Nov 10 2020 09:59:10 GMT+0800 (China Standard Time)
Service version: 13.0.14696.63
Client version: 2011.1.03669-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-south-east-asia-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

BR,

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I got the error message.

v-lionel-msft_0-1605601713206.png

The personal gateway does not support multiple users.

v-lionel-msft_1-1605601850529.png

Other administrator accounts must take over this dataset and configure the gateway to refresh.

v-lionel-msft_3-1605602015118.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ellgraa
Frequent Visitor

Hi Jason, 
Sorry to bring this topic back up again after so long, but did you manage to go around this issue? I am in the complete same boat: I am using python script to upload data for the enterprise but the existing power BI service only supports personal gateway. 

Elizabeth

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I got the error message.

v-lionel-msft_0-1605601713206.png

The personal gateway does not support multiple users.

v-lionel-msft_1-1605601850529.png

Other administrator accounts must take over this dataset and configure the gateway to refresh.

v-lionel-msft_3-1605602015118.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I didn't reproduce your problem.

What's your version? Try to update the gateway to the latest version if you don't use the latest version.

v-lionel-msft_0-1605504341654.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-lionel-msft ,

Thanks for your response.

My version is 2000.63.6 (October 2020(Release 2)). It is ok that if I use the published account to manually refresh the report, but the main problem is if other pro accounts cannot manually refresh the report in the workspace.
Are you also facing this issue?

BR,

Jason Tam

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lionel-msft ,

I have upgraded the gateway same as yours, but the issue is still the same. Other pro-accounts in the workspace still cannot manual refresh the report except the published account.

BR,

Jason Tam

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

To do a refresh at all, a user has to have the correct permissions to the report and/or dataset.  Because this is a Personal Gateway your laptop or whatever machine you are using has to be online and available as well at the time of the refresh request.  You also have to have a Power BI Pro license.  I THINK you can have the report in a "My Workspace" but it will most likely work better if it is in a named workspace.  

I don't have any personal gateways to test with, but in the Enterprise Gateways there is a User setting which lists who can publish reports with the data source.  You may also have to give permissions to the other users to that to see if they can publish.

But, all that said, they may not have permission to the data source itself - the file sitting on your machine and that may be blocking them.

LEt us know what happens when you review what  Isuggested.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @collinq ,

Thanks for your advice. The reason I use personal gateway is the report need to run some python code in it. However, the existing power bi serivce can only support personal gateway to run it.

Actaully we are using a named workspace and all of the pro-accounts in the workspace is admin role. In normal practice, all admin roles in the workspace can manual refresh the power bi report. But I don't know why the report (via personal gateway) can only be manually refreshed by the published account, all other admin roles cannot refresh it. I don't whether whether it is normal by using personal gateway or not.

BR,

Jason

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors