Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sameershaikh
Frequent Visitor

Personal Bookmark

I have created personal bookmark to fetch data as per my requirement.

The problem is when I try to retreive data using personal bookmarks it does not display/ fetch the latest data. So wanted to fetch data as per the slicers applied in personal bookmark and should show latest/updated data.

Thanks,

Sameer

10 REPLIES 10
NimaiAhluwalia
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hello @sameershaikh 

I guess so you are facing this issue because you haven't checked the data option while creating the bookmark!

IF MY SOLUTION HELPED YOU PLEASE DO HIT A LIKE AND ACCEPT IT AS A SOLUTION IF IT SOLVES YOUR ERROR!

v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sameershaikh,

Is the visual without applying personal bookmarks refreshed properly?

I can't reproduce your issue. Did your report contain any custom visualizations?

Most Power BI visuals should work well with bookmarking. 

If you run into trouble with bookmarking and a Power BI visual, contact the creator of that Power BI visual and ask them to add support for bookmarks to their visual.

Best Regards,

Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xulin-mstf ,

There are no custom visuals in the report. The personal bookmark is applied to the entire page of the report, using the slicers in the page I have filter out data across the visuals. The bookmark is created and based on only the slicers and nothing else.

The problem seems to be when I do some changes to the report; add some new visuals or create a new page in the existing report in Power BI Desktop and re publish it over Power BI Service the bookmark seems to behave weird and don't show the proper data.

No changes are done to the slicers which are used in personal bookmark.

Thanks!!

Hi @sameershaikh,

After my testing, I could not reproduce your issue and I am not sure if it is your sample data that is causing the effect.

Could you provide pbix file after removing sensitive information?

I wiil check it in my environment.

Best Regards,

Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI @v-xulin-mstf,

Yeah will try to have some sample data for testing purpose and will share across along with the pbix file, also will try to note down the stpes in order to re produce the issue.

Thanks

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @sameershaikh ,

A personal bookmark is your view of the data - your filters/slicers etc.  It does not correlate to the data's last refresh date.  The refresh of teh data to get the latest and greatest is based on the report's Schedule Rrefresh settings in the Service (if on the Service) or in the Desktop by the owner when they hit refresh button.

The bookmark will not refresh data.  If you are in the service and think that the data is refreshed and you are not seeing it you can select the "refresh visuals" in the top right of the ribbon (next to the favorite star) but this does refresh the DATA, it refreshes your visuals to make sure that they have the last model's refresh.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq ,

The report is over Power BI Service and data is refreshed on a daily basis. The problem is when I use personal bookmark the visuals don't show the updated data, whereas by using the same filters directly in the report the updated data is displayed. Personal bookmark by some means don't bring up the updated data.

Hi @sameershaikh ,

You mention that you have the same filters - are the filters on the bookmark page relative or hardcoded in any way so that they are not showing the latest and greatest data?  That could be one answer where it appears to not update but that is due to a filter holding it to older data.

I have been thinking of this at page level, but do any of the visuals themselves have a visual filter on them that is holding them from showing newer data?

When you go to the Bookmarked page, and hit the refresh visuals on that bookmark page, does it change any of the results?  I am referring to this option:

2021-04-19_11-19-04.jpg

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @collinq ,When you go to the Bookmarked page, and hit the refresh visuals on that bookmark page, does it change any of the results?  I am referring to this option: No it does not change any of the results.

I am using slicers to filter out data as per my requirements and create personal bookmarks. There is as such no dependent filters on any visuals, but it seems the visuals are showing the data which is captured at the time when I created the bookmark.

Thanks for your help and efforts !

One more thing: I have re publish the report after adding few new visuals on the page (from Desktop to Service), but I have not done any change to the visuals that I have used in my personal bookmark in power bi service. Does this by any chance be the cause of this weird behaviour ?

Hi @sameershaikh ,

If you ahve not changed any of the visuals affecting the bookmark, then there should be no issues that are caused by those changes.  This does seem quite odd, I think that perhaps you should open a ticket with Microsoft and then please let us all know the result.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors