Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tanyad
Advocate III
Advocate III

Persistent filters - works on some reports not on others

Have just been doing some testing with Persistent filters and it seems that on some reports they work on others they don't .  I have 5 reports all using the same type of data connection, just different data.  On one report persistent filters work, on the other 4 it doesn't - the 'reset to default' stays greyed out.  I have downloaded the files, checked that i have not mistakenly enabled 'Don't allow end users to......" (which i haven't), then republished the report, still Persistent filters are not retained.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour?

6 REPLIES 6
tanyad
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi all, many thanks for all the replies, and apologies for the delay in replying; i was on leave.  It was because of the type of visual i was using!!! Changed the visual to inbuilt and now working.

However, a user has just pointed out that the following scenario does not save filters.

1. Go to report and select a filter (slicer visual), (the reset visual icon goes yellow).
  2. Now close the browser.
  3. Go back to report and the filters are not retained.

If you 

1. Go to report and select a filter (slicer visual), (the reset visual icon goes yellow).
  2. Do not close browser, but navigate to any other page web url 
  3. Go back to report and the filters are retained.

Is the above the expected?

i'm facing the same issue.

when we close the browser the latest selection in the slicers isn't saved.

I think that needs to happen is that in order for it to save your settings there has to be another interaction on the page.

So that means navigating to another page or clicking on another visual. Otherwise how does it know what filters have been selected?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

I would have thought the same, however when you select your first filter the 'Reset to default' is activated (turns yellow), therefore it must know that I have selected a filter.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tanyad,

For those reports where "Persistent filters" doesn't work, please check if there are some custom visuals.  Please pay attention to below bold message.

If your button remains disabled, it either means the report author has disabled the feature for the report (see here for how) or the report contains a custom visual. Simply hover on top of the button to read the tooltip for an explanation.

Reference: 
Why are my Power BI Persistent Filters Not Working – Quick Tip

Announcing Persistent Filters in the Power BI Service

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@tanyad I have not, when you download the files did you open the "sync slicers" pane under "View" and make sure that all the checkboxes were set? Is there any cross filtering from normal filters influencing the slicer?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors