Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

olivere91
Helper I
Helper I

Permissions to stop users from editing reports

I've removed build permissions for my users but they are still able to change my report. What am I doing wrong? I want to be able to publish reports and have my end users be able to read and share but not change it.

Capture.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @olivere91  ,

1. You can add users in the workspace and set the role permissions to View

2. Find the data set that uses the report, right-click, and select Manage permissions

v-yangliu-msft_0-1612226018673.png

3. Select users and add their Share permissions

v-yangliu-msft_1-1612226018676.jpeg

4. The user only has View and Share permissions

v-yangliu-msft_2-1612226018677.jpeg

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mihart
Employee
Employee

Hi @olivere91 

Your screenshot shows WORKSPACE permissions. I'd have to do more research, but here are some suggestions.  If they work, please mark as solution. If they don't work, please write back.

1. I wonder if you've already shared the app, and given build permissions via the app? If this workspace has an app, take a look at the app permissions:

appAccess.png

ScottShearer
Resolver I
Resolver I

@olivere91 

Are you using a workspace that you created (rather than My Workspace)?  If so, did you grant access to the workspace and also share the report?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

how is them changing the report different from them using export or analyze in Excel and then manipulating the data? Are you sure you want to make Power BI less attractive for your users? "Reshare"  is a much bigger issue than "Build" in my opinion. 

they're welcome to the underlying data, I want them to be able to use and export that. The issue is they can move and change visual elements in a published report and it ends up messing up the report for everyone. How can i control that?

"The issue is they can move and change visual elements in a published report and it ends up messing up the report for everyone"

That is interesting - I have never seen that with the Build permissions.   Are you sharing the workspace, the report, or the app?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors