Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Merchy2401
Frequent Visitor

Permissions on "New" Workspace seem to be "faulty"

Hi All,

I have created a "New" App Workspace & I am an "Admin" member (by default) and a have registered a colleague as a "Member" of the Workspace.

I have now published a report (and inclusive dataset) to the workspace and my colleague & I are now "Owners" of the dataset and the report.

why?

As the Admin of the group & the legitimate Owner of the newly published dataset/report I would expect that I have the ability to grant/deny permissions to those objects, but as my colleague is now an owner I cant remove him from them..

Am I doing something wrong?

many thanks for any suggestions/comments; Andi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Merchy2401,

It seems like this is a known issue on preview workspace permission, they will fix this when workspace version 2 GA.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Merchy2401,

I'm not so clear for your description, can you please explain more about your scenario?

AFAIK, current one dataset only allow one owner. (dataset owner can be changed by 'take ownership' operation)

If you mean 'edit' permission, member of new workspace also has edit permission do to change on workspace contents.

In addition, you can also take a look at document of new workspace:

Create the new workspaces (preview) in Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft; thanks for your reply.

so to add some more detail....

I have created a new App workspace & I elected to try the new Preview feature for "New" App Workspaces.

When I created the App Workspace I by default was granted "Admin" as a role permission. I then added a colleague to the Workspace as a role of "Member".

At this point the Workspace is just a shell, no datasets, Reports or dashboards.

Ive created a new DataSet & Report in the Power BI Client & have "published to Power BI" from the client to the New (Preview) App workspace created above.

Once Published I go to the new workspace & check permissions & find that the new dataset has tow owners, Myself & my colleague (picture attached)

Dataset PermissionsDataset Permissions

This is also true of the report that was published.

In interested in the "Take Ownership" operation; where can that be performed or is that a tennant Admin only function?

thanks,

Andi

Hi @Merchy2401,

It seems like this is a known issue on preview workspace permission, they will fix this when workspace version 2 GA.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

When will the Enhanced Workspace version 2 GA be that provides the additional security roles?   We really need the 'Viewer'.  As it stands any user you grant access to can create new content which is unacceptable.

Hi @Merchy2401,

I think I reproduce this in new preview workspace, each workspace member will get the owner permission of each datasets.

I will contact to power bi team to confirm this and share feedback here.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors