Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rylach
Helper II
Helper II

Permissions and report authors

Hi,

Looking at the current RLS and workspace permission concept it looks like PBI does not support report modification and contribution (for own purposes) for users without full permissions for the dataset.

Look at the example:

1. Workspace with edit right for its users - RLS does not work
  2. Workspace with view right only - user is not able to download .pbix file or create a copy of the report in his own workspace, possibly basing on other data

What I need is to provide standard, predefined reports and educate the users to be able make their own modifications / versions. They do not need extensive DAX knowledge for that. If I'd prepare a clear, self-explanatory data model, thay could make their own analysis, but it is not possible for now, because I need to give them access to all the data (and I can't - they shoud see only "their" data). 

The only option I see is to create separate views in SQL with permissions for particular users, but it seems to be a huge maintanance overhead.

How do you deal with such scenario?

TIA

Ryszard.

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mohandas Gandhi.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@rylach SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular (Azure Platform as a Service or On premises). By creating the model this way on a server/cloud, you could apply row level security, and give the users access to the model. They can build their own reports, also add additional measures in their reports if they want to, and you manage the single model in one place. Any changes you make, would impact all reports downstream. RLS is applied to the user, so all reports they made would have their view of the data only.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
rylach
Helper II
Helper II

Hi,

Looking at the current RLS and workspace permission concept it looks like PBI does not support report modification and contribution (for own purposes) for users without full permissions for the dataset.

Look at the example:

1. Workspace with edit right for its users - RLS does not work
  2. Workspace with view right only - user is not able to download .pbix file or create a copy of the report in his own workspace, possibly basing on other data

What I need is to provide standard, predefined reports and educate the users to be able make their own modifications / versions. They do not need extensive DAX knowledge for that. If I'd prepare a clear, self-explanatory data model, thay could make their own analysis, but it is not possible for now, because I need to give them access to all the data (and I can't - they shoud see only "their" data). 

The only option I see is to create separate views in SQL with permissions for particular users, but it seems to be a huge maintanance overhead.

How do you deal with such scenario?

TIA

Ryszard.

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mohandas Gandhi.

@rylach

As @Seth_C_Bauer said, you can build a Tabluar model based on your SQL Tables since the security is defined within SSAS Tabular model. And to make your end users to use this dataset to create a report, you can either create app/content pack, share it to your end users, or you can have them directly "Get Data" from Power BI Servcie in Power BI Desktop. 

Regards,

@rylach SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular (Azure Platform as a Service or On premises). By creating the model this way on a server/cloud, you could apply row level security, and give the users access to the model. They can build their own reports, also add additional measures in their reports if they want to, and you manage the single model in one place. Any changes you make, would impact all reports downstream. RLS is applied to the user, so all reports they made would have their view of the data only.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors