Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

funklordofusa
Helper I
Helper I

Permission Required error

Hi,

I have created a dataset that is used for reports I have shared in an app.  Some users, not all, are getting the following error when trying to access the report.

Permission required: you cannot see the content of this report because you do not have permissions to the underlying dataset...

The problem is I haven't defined any permissions to exclude any viewers.  I do not have any viewer roles created, no row level security, no anything that I think of that would cause a user to be snubbed.  Users all have pro licenses.  I deleted an existing workspace, created a new one, published the reports to the new workspace, and updated a brand new app but the users are still prohibited.  I do have one user that has access and the app functions as intended.

Does anyone know what may be happening?  Or what I may be able to do to help the users gain access?

Thanks for your help,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@funklordofusa 

I tried to re-pro the issue from my end.

funklordofusa-sharing error.JPG

Analyzing that you need to add the user under the dataset.

Ex:- Report Name:- Sample.PBIX

select the workspace >> go to the data sets tab >> select the data set >> clcik 3 dots at the end of the data set >> Manage Permissions >> Add your user to the dataset and assign them the role as "Read".

Hope it will resolve your issue after assigning the role.

If you have any queries, please let us know.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@funklordofusa 

I tried to re-pro the issue from my end.

funklordofusa-sharing error.JPG

Analyzing that you need to add the user under the dataset.

Ex:- Report Name:- Sample.PBIX

select the workspace >> go to the data sets tab >> select the data set >> clcik 3 dots at the end of the data set >> Manage Permissions >> Add your user to the dataset and assign them the role as "Read".

Hope it will resolve your issue after assigning the role.

If you have any queries, please let us know.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

Adding the specific users did resolve the permission error.  Thanks.

I did already have a user/group with access called "Entire organization" but I guess that didn't function.  Another interesting anecdote is that the individual user that always had access doesn't explicitly have their name included in the Users With Access list.

I'm still a bit confused but at least the consumers can see their reports for now.

We have this same issue and the aforementioned recommendation did not work. Please advise.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors