Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ThoSch-Ger
Helper I
Helper I

Permission Error for workspace members to reports based on shared dataset from foreign workspace

Hi,

I work with a shared dataset which is placed in an own workspace (A) to wich only report builder have access to.

The idea is to publish reports in different workspaces to manage the permissions inside the target workspace.

Now my workspace (B) members can't access the report based on the dataset in workspace A and get this error message:

"Permission required: you cannot see the content of this report because you do not have permissions to the underlying dataset"

The solution I found (from last year) is to grant all users access to the underlying dataset.

This is not a satisifiying solution to me. The idea is to easily administrate and distribut content to the right places inside or outside the organisation and not to administrate twice the reports an dataset.

Is there any other solution?

Thanks,

Thorsten

4 REPLIES 4
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ThoSch-Ger ,

You may go to Workspace (A) , select More options (...) next to a dataset > Manage Permissions, add your user to the dataset and assign them the role as "Read" .

manage-permissions.png

For reference:

Intro to datasets across workspaces

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your answers.

I found this solution in an older threat. But to me that's not really satisfying.

I don't want a 100 users on the dataset. 

I want to have like 20 reports in own workspaces based on that one dataset and distribute a 100 users to those workspaces organized in Office 365 teams and administrate the access not based on single users but through team e-Mail adresses. 

If that's not possible I don't see the true advantage of the shared dataset concept. 

Is it more a topic for change request ideas?

The advantage of shared datasets is the centralization of data stewardship.  There's one point of contact for data quality assurance, and "one version of the truth" in regards to what users should look at if they want to compare their reports across teams/regions.

Note: personally I think there are lots of conflicts here with CDS and with whatever data modeling tools are actually used in a company. And "one version of the truth"  is exactly that - just one of the many versions.  (Let's say it has a slightly higher level of truthiness)

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Implement RLS in your shared dataset so even if the users have access to the dataset they will only see the portion of the data that is permitted by their RLS rules.

Or - use non-technical processes like Standards of Business Conduct to regulate the user behavior.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors