Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BI-1294
Frequent Visitor

Performances - Power query Service vs power query desktop

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the performances of power query on service and power query on desktop.

Which has better performance? Is it the computational power used on service the same as the desktop side?

Thank you for your support

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
mcolb88
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @BI-1294 

They are definitely not the same. One is using cloud resources and the other using resoruces on your local computer. I personally have found it best and better perfornance developing the query / M script locally, then export or copy and paste into the dataflow. 
Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @BI-1294 ,

The performance of Power Query in service will depend on what licence type you're using. You'll get the best performance on a Premium Capacity Workspace, next on a Premium Per User, and finally a Pro workspace. Performance of Power Query in Power BI desktop will depend on how powerful your PC is as some transforms may be running on your PC.  Finally it also depends on how responsive your data server is that feeds the Data. For instance if you have a slow SQL server, or are getting data from Sharepoint Online (which can be slow) or other overloaded resource, your Power Query, whether On-premise or Server may be slowed by that.

Generally I've found a  Pro workspace to be slower than my PC at Power Query, but PPU and Premium Capacity slightly faster. But it depends on many things so "your mileage may vary".

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @BI-1294 ,

The performance of Power Query in service will depend on what licence type you're using. You'll get the best performance on a Premium Capacity Workspace, next on a Premium Per User, and finally a Pro workspace. Performance of Power Query in Power BI desktop will depend on how powerful your PC is as some transforms may be running on your PC.  Finally it also depends on how responsive your data server is that feeds the Data. For instance if you have a slow SQL server, or are getting data from Sharepoint Online (which can be slow) or other overloaded resource, your Power Query, whether On-premise or Server may be slowed by that.

Generally I've found a  Pro workspace to be slower than my PC at Power Query, but PPU and Premium Capacity slightly faster. But it depends on many things so "your mileage may vary".

Hope this helps

Stuart

mcolb88
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @BI-1294 

They are definitely not the same. One is using cloud resources and the other using resoruces on your local computer. I personally have found it best and better perfornance developing the query / M script locally, then export or copy and paste into the dataflow. 
Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors