Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

davidhernando

Performance of shared Power BI Datasets in PRO licensing not PREMIUM

Hello everyone,

We developped a report on a shared dataset publish through an App (ds size 440MB) with 30 users , everything is on a PRO licensing mode.

We are planning to make it available to 300 users and 500 afterwards, will it impact the unitary performance of the report ?

Does it exist some metrics about load/performance of the PRO PBI Service ?  

How many concurrent users on the same dataset can the service handle?

Any help would begreatly appreciated!

Thanks !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @davidhernando - There is no benchmark as such defined by Power BI while using Pro licenses (atleast not that I am aware of)

It depends on which mechanism you've used for data connectivity; if your report is using Import then all data is cached in Power Bi service and you should not expect any performance issues.

If report is using DirectQuery to on-prem data source and large number of users are accessing the report then you could expect some performance issues since each time a user interacts with a visual on the report - a query is sent on-premise to data source.

Also based on the number of users that you are mentioning you are going to scale up to - I think you should consider the option of a mix of Pro and Premium - based on the number of users who are actually going to build reports

Check out the below article for details: 

https://xo.xello.com.au/blog/power-bi-desktop-vs-power-bi-pro-and-premium-differences#:~:text=Premiu...

Please mark the post as a solution if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks! 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @davidhernando - There is no benchmark as such defined by Power BI while using Pro licenses (atleast not that I am aware of)

It depends on which mechanism you've used for data connectivity; if your report is using Import then all data is cached in Power Bi service and you should not expect any performance issues.

If report is using DirectQuery to on-prem data source and large number of users are accessing the report then you could expect some performance issues since each time a user interacts with a visual on the report - a query is sent on-premise to data source.

Also based on the number of users that you are mentioning you are going to scale up to - I think you should consider the option of a mix of Pro and Premium - based on the number of users who are actually going to build reports

Check out the below article for details: 

https://xo.xello.com.au/blog/power-bi-desktop-vs-power-bi-pro-and-premium-differences#:~:text=Premiu...

Please mark the post as a solution if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks! 

Hi @Sumanth_23 

Thanks for your reply!

Actually the dataset is in import mode with an Azure SQL DB, the final report uses this Power BI dataset as source.

We will have 5-10 report builders and 300 readers, and for that I presume that we will not face performance issues. But what will it be for 400 or 500 users? Do you have any experience on this ?

Thanks for your article even if it handles the problem mainly from the financial perspective.

hi @davidhernando - I do have experience in a couple of projects with that number of users but we have switched to Premium at about 400 users when we require more of users with read access - but unfortunately have not experienced that workload with Pro users. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors