Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shane1

Partitioning of access to Power BI

Hi there

We are currently trialing the free version of Power BI and were wondering if it is possible (either free or paid) to have multiple datasets/dashboards but have sub accounts or separate logins to restrict who can see which datasets/dashboards.

We have a couple of staff here who are creating dashboards. I want to be able to see everything they are doing but I don't want them to see eachother's data/dashboards due to the nature of the data. I saw that the paid version has something called Groups. Is this what we need?

Once we have the dashboards created our end goal is to build our own web portal where customers can log in and see their own dashboards we've created for them (I think we need to use Power BI Embedded to do this).

Is this possible?

2 REPLIES 2
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

When you have the paid version, you can create Shared Workpaces.

This is one way to manage this.  You can control who you add to each Shared Workspace at an individual level.

For example, you allow  PersonA, PersonB & PersonC to access SharedWorkspace1,

and have PersonB, PersonC & PersonD to access SharedWorkspace2

Once you add a user to a Shared Workspace, they can see the Dashboards and Reports - although these can be further configured through Row Level Security.

As for external customers, you'll need Power BI embedded as you say - unless you want to create accounts for your external customers in your tenant (not advisable)

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Phil,

What happens if the customers are of two types by this I mean internal to our tenant and external to our tenant.  We want the internal designated users to be able to use the Power BI features such as export data but we don't want  them to be able to share the link to the dashboard or to get to the Power BI portal itself.  We also want to further restrict the external users.  We have it a wall on this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors