Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sonal2901
Frequent Visitor

Partition using Tabular Editor

Hi,

Context - We have a report based on oracle tables. We have done fact partitioning using tabular editor into two : Direct Query (for last two month data and current month) and Import (for rest of the data).

It is working fine in numbers as such but the sql, this report is generating, is still querying whole data. For example if we select previous month , the Import part still gets run against database, it gives no result but it takes a lot of time which is not good for performance. 

Does anyone explain me how this works?

2 REPLIES 2
Hariharan_R
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Sonal2901 

Need some more information about your issue.

If you created the partitions then have you connected the dataset in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and checked the partitions. You can refresh the partitions there and can check the SQL trace to identify what queries are sent to DB side and check how long it is taking and also the result. This will help you to troubleshoot your issues.

Thanks

Hari

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

My Blog :: YouTube Channel :: My Linkedin

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sonal2901,

May I know if you can see the queries that sent to sql data source contains the date period belongs to import partition when you select previous month data and monitor the queries generated by tools like sql server profiler? As far as I know, incremental refresh is mainly designed for faster the refresh of datasets. As for its effect on viewing report, we don’t see the corresponding statements about it.

For more details about the effect of incremental refresh, you could refer to Incremental refresh for datasets and real-time data in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,                                              

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors