Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DanYuncken
Helper I
Helper I

Partial publishing to service from Excel – have data set missing workbook

Hi,

I want to publish an Excel workbook containing a small data model and some content on the worksheets to the PowerBI service. I plan to pin some of the worksheets to a dashboard.

However, after ‘successfully’ publishing from Excel (via saving on OneDrive for Business first), I can only find the data set in my workspace. There is nothing under ‘Workbooks’ (or Reports or dashboards).

Capture.PNG

What am I missing or doing wrong?

The only thing I can think of is that my version of Excel is a volume licence of MS Office Professional Plus 2016. In Excel, I’m signed in to my Office 365 Business Essentials (includes OneDrive). Plus I have a subscription to Power BI Pro with the same email.

The volume license is supposed to work with my online account, and when publishing in need to be logged in to my account in Excel to publish to OneDrive. I would think that it would publish properly or not at all – so why I’m getting half the result isn’t making any sense to me!

Thanks in advance,

Dan

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@DanYuncken

I'm sure you select "Export" when publishing the workbook from Excel. This option will publish the dataset and reports onto Power BI Service. 

For your requirement, you should select "Upload". It will just upload the Excel Workbook file.

2.PNG

33.PNG

Regards,

Hi @Simon_Hou-MSFT,

Thank you for response.

It prompted me to give your suggestion a go. It didn’t work but I did find a workaround which I’ll share with the community.

Firstly your suggestion - When publishing from Excel, I am only getting one option… It doesn’t look like either of yours.

Please see below: 1 publishing option, 2 success message in excel, 3 further confirmation in Excel, 4 missing workbook in PowerBI and 5 Dataset in PowerBI. I’d love to know why I don’t have the same options as you.

Secondly, my solution for people with the same problem - you can ‘import’ the workbook within the Power BI Service.

On the PowerBI Service click on Get Data (bottom left corner) -> under ‘Import or Connect to data’ click on ‘Get’ in Files -> Click on the ‘OneDrive for Business’ icon and navigate to the workbook -> select the workbook and click Connect -> Finally, under ‘Choose how to connect to your Excel workbook’ you can choose to ‘Import Excel data into Power BI’ OR ‘Connect, manage, and view Excel in Power BI’. Bingo!

My excel options are limited:

Publish to PowerBI step one.PNGPublish to PowerBI step two.PNGPublish to PowerBI Check after publish.PNGPowerBI Result.PNGPowerBI Data Set.PNG

Workaround: in the Power Bi Service:

1 Click on Get Data.PNG2 get files.PNG3 one drive for business.PNG4. Select file and connect.PNG5 choose how to connect.PNG

Bingo!6 Job Done.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors