Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zbareta

Partial Data-source Refresh

Hi everyone!

I have a report where I am pulling data from multiple data sources.

Most of this is fine, as I am getting data from the web (kobo toolbox), from 9 data-sources (all formated similarly and appended). Everything refreshes normaly.

The problem is that i also have several .XLS data sources (also formatted and appended ) that work fine in BI Desktop, but there is a problem when refreshing the dataset through the service.

This .XLS data does not need to be refreshed. They are old back-up files that are useful in terms of statistics and vizualisation, but that are never updated. 

I can't "enter" the data directly into BI Desktop (too many columns), nor can i upload it as a dataset to the BI service (it does not allow me to create reports with BI service data and other live data).

As it is impossible to "tell" the service only to update data collected from the web, and leave the .xls files alone (do not refresh), what would be your proposal on solving this in terms of best practice.

Move the .XLS to OneDrive, Sharepoint, Dropbox...? Is there something more obvious that I am missing?

Thank you in advance!
Zeljko

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Zeljko,

There is a new feature under preview called "Incremental refresh". Surely it has some limitations for now. I wounder if it could help in your scenario. You can give it a try. Please refer to power-bi-desktop-may-2018-feature-summary/#incrementalRefresh.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @zbareta,

@v-jiascu-msft is correct, you can use this feature and I suggest you concentrate on Detect data changes part:

Inremental refreshInremental refresh

Be aware that it is applicable for all Power BI Premium and Power BI Embedded capacities (starting from A3). 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
greatmaker
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I don't know if t his thread is still going, but to my knowledge Power BI service does not allow the refresh of .XLS files on a schedule, just via  refresh and publish in the desktop app.  that said, it is possible to remove a table from a report refresh: 

you right click on the table in query editor and untick "Include in report refresh" that way the data remains static and the refresh skips that table

@greatmaker  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Partial-Data-source-Refresh/m-p/622562#M62107

Thanks so much for this answer! Incremental refreshes would not work for me since I have a data source that is no longer functioning

Hi there

I think that even if the file is part of the desktop file it would want it to be connected to the Gateway?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Zeljko,

There is a new feature under preview called "Incremental refresh". Surely it has some limitations for now. I wounder if it could help in your scenario. You can give it a try. Please refer to power-bi-desktop-may-2018-feature-summary/#incrementalRefresh.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @zbareta,

@v-jiascu-msft is correct, you can use this feature and I suggest you concentrate on Detect data changes part:

Inremental refreshInremental refresh

Be aware that it is applicable for all Power BI Premium and Power BI Embedded capacities (starting from A3). 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh

@v-jiascu-msft @zoloturu Thanks a million. Will deffinitely give it a shot!

All the best!

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently Power BI will refresh all the data in the model and there is no way to only refresh selected data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors