Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Razorbx13
Post Patron
Post Patron

Parameters in Service

I have created a parameter in Power Query, applied it to tables, published to the service and confirmed the parameters in the dataset settings.  How does a user, accessing a report, modify the parameter from the default value?  The parameter is a month end date and was placed as a filter on each table.  So I basically am wanting a person to select a month end in the parameter and have it apply across the board.  But do not know how a user enters a parameter value in the service.  Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

So yes, it is imported data.  So you are saying there is no way to create parameters that a user can enter in the service?  Basically have to use a filter?  

View solution in original post

@Razorbx13 

Yes, you are right. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

If you are using an Import option for your data source then you cannot modify values of the parameters in the service at run time.

If you are using a Direct Query, you can leverage the Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop option to allow the user to change the values.

Well that kind of sucks.  Hopefully they will fix that.  Or at least I assume this is something people would like.

So yes, it is imported data.  So you are saying there is no way to create parameters that a user can enter in the service?  Basically have to use a filter?  

@Razorbx13 

Yes, you are right. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors