Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AntonioCasado
Frequent Visitor

Parameters aren't published to PowerBI Service

Hi all,

Probably I am missing something with the changes included in the last Power BI Desktop Update (because I have some old datasets with parameters working correctly).

The thing is that Power BI Service shows me the message "Parameters haven't been defined for this dataset yet. If you want to set parameters, use the Query Editor" even when I created parameters in the dataset via Power Query Editor.

2020_03_25_12_41_19_Power_BI.png

Here you have the steps I did:

1. Create two parameters: DBServerName and DBName

2. Create a new source with both parameters in the "connection string":

let
Source = Sql.Database(DBServerName, DBName),
TEST_DIM = Source{[Schema="TEST",Item="TEST_VIEW"]}[Data]
in
TEST_DIM
3. Enter the credentials, and the data were loaded successfully.

4. Close and Apply chages

5. Create the test report.

6. Check that both parameters exist going to "Transform data" -> "Edit Parameters"

7. Save the report.

8. Publish to Power BI Service.

9. Sign in Power BI Service.

10. Go to the correct Workspace.

11. Go to datasets tab

12. Click on settings in the published dataset

13. When you try to change the parameters on the settings page the message "Parameters haven't been defined for this dataset yet. If you want to set parameters, use the Query Editor".

Any help, please?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @AntonioCasado 

Based on my research, the paramterized datasource can be published to Power BI Service. However, you can't modify the value in Power BI Service. As is said in the official document ,you can review and edit some parameter settings in the Power BI service -- not parameters that restrict the available data, but parameters that define and describe acceptable values. I'd like to suggest you use Power BI restful api to achieve you requirement.

For further information, you may refer Datasets - Update Datasources In Group and use new data source to replace the old one.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @AntonioCasado 

Based on my research, the paramterized datasource can be published to Power BI Service. However, you can't modify the value in Power BI Service. As is said in the official document ,you can review and edit some parameter settings in the Power BI service -- not parameters that restrict the available data, but parameters that define and describe acceptable values. I'd like to suggest you use Power BI restful api to achieve you requirement.

For further information, you may refer Datasets - Update Datasources In Group and use new data source to replace the old one.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-alq-msft ,

First of all, thank you for you reply.

Sorry, that is exactly what I am trying to implement. I am involved in a Continuous Integration process that publish the new reports automatically making use of the Power BI Rest API via PowerShell scripts. So I need to change the server name and database name dynamically (as Guy in a Cube shows in https://youtu.be/MJVSu47iMmo?t=131)

The thing is that I did some demos a couple of weeks ago, and it worked! but, recently, something has changed and parameters are gone.

Here you have a demo I did:

1. This is the PowerQuery setup. As you can see, I defined two parameters.

2020_03_26_12_51_34_ds_Test_Dataset_Power_Query_Editor.png

2. I published the dataset into PowerBI Service. As you can see there it was published on 03/12/2020.

2020_03_26_12_55_58_Power_BI.png

3. And as you can see here, I can edit the parameters. So everything was working as expected until a few days ago.

2020_03_26_12_58_23_Power_BI.png

I have also tried the symulator in the Update Parameters in group documentation, but it seems that the parameters hasn't been published:

2020-03-26 14_05_52-Datasets - Update Parameters In Group (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) _ Microsoft .png

Thanks.

Hi @v-alq-msft ,

I have redone my script to use Update Dasource in Group, instead of update parameters. And it seems to be working.

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-alq-msft , @AntonioCasado ,

I'm facing ths same issue. I have a report having some parameters connected to an Azure DB.
When the connectivity mode is Direct Query ,I'm getting the same message that is shown in the question.
But when I import the data,I'm able to see the parameters in the service.

Any idea why this is happening?
Thanks.

Has anyone figured this out yet? I have similar situation and am going crazy trying to find a solution here. So far:

1. I have tried all of the easy stuff continually mentioned by PowerBY support team on similar msg boards

2. I created a new .pbix file, added sources, added params, succesfully see them show up in PowerBI services

3. .pbix that has my fully developed model ready for publication no longer shows up with params so I can't schedule refresh around them even though it did at one point

4. I have tried creating a template file and recreating .pbix model and republishing with no luck

Hopefully someone has figured out some setting I missed somewhere else I will need to rebuild data model again on new .pbix since that seems to be the only way to get Params to show up again

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors