Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

acanepa
Resolver I
Resolver I

Parameters & PowerApps & RestAPI

Hi,

I'm generating dashboard that analyzes a particular client overall views. The data is loaded through SQL queries with parameters defined in PowerBI desktop. 

Analyze a different client involves changing the parameter in PBI desktop and load the data again. (Around 2 min)

I have used Excel as a collector of parameters to change data into a dashboard as the following video explains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiNDq2VrZPY

But the problem is that only one person can use report at the time and you need to give admin permissions to the users.

Is there a way to use Rest API or another method where I can pass parameters?

My idea will be the following in terms of a flow:

1. Users type the client they want to investigate in PowerBI service (or online)

2. PBI send a request to SQL server for the required User.

3. SQL retrieves the data a PBI saves into the report

I'm wondering if I can use Data Connectivity Mode on Import rather than Direct Query to this Job.

Finally, it will be possible to leverage PowerApps to pass the parameters for making the queries?

Regards,

2 REPLIES 2
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@acanepa,

So why not get all data in Power BI and add client column into a slicer, then user can analyzes particular clients data? 

I'm wondering if I can use Data Connectivity Mode on Import rather than Direct Query to this Job.
Yes, we can use import mode in this scenario.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hello,

I can do that but the quantity of data is massive and that's why I'm trying to avoid bringing all the data.

My idea is using PowerApps to pass a filter into SQL databases as a parameter.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors