Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shamsuddeenvp
Post Patron
Post Patron

Parameter is disabled for editing in power bi service

Dear,

I am trying to change the connection string from Dev to UAT using parameters. We are able to change in power BI desktop, need to refresh and upload.

I am aware that paramter option is available in Power BI service, however I am not able to change the value. It is disabled for editing, is it because in the tenant settings configuration is done to disable it? For me it is not enable to change the server IP (that I am using as parameter to flip from dev to UAT)

Folloeing the below blog

https://www.fourmoo.com/2018/03/27/using-the-power-bi-service-parameters-to-change-connection-string...

Br,

Shams

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there,

Make sure that your parameter data type is NOT set to ANY, it must be set to Text or Decimal.

Make the change above and re-upload the file.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there, when you connected to your data source, did you connect to it using the parameter?

Power BI Blog

Thanks @GilbertQ

I have parameters with default value. And when i load my pbix file, it takes the default value and loads the data.

How to make the user to enter paramter when opened? 

still in power bi online, i cannot change the parameter, its not editable. I have added as dropdown for paramters, still not able to change.

Br,

Shams

Hi there,

Make sure that your parameter data type is NOT set to ANY, it must be set to Text or Decimal.

Make the change above and re-upload the file.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ - Thank you! This solved a last minute go live. For more detail incase someone needs a little more context like I did - 

1. Open up the report/dataset you would like to publish in Power BI Desktop.

2. From the 'Home' tab in the upper left (as of 04-28-22 / PBI Desktop v.  2.103.661.0 64-bit (March 2022)), click the 'Transform data' option in the Queries options group, then from the dropdown menu click 'Transform data' to open up Power Query Editor

3. From the Power Query Editor's Home Tab, click the 'Manage parameters' option, then from the subsequent drop down, click 'Manage Parameters'

4. Change the 'Type' for all locked/greyed-out parameters to match the value type of the input you would like to change it to - Text I believe is fairly standard. Then press 'OK' after finishing. 

5. Republish to the workspace - the parameters should now be editable!

Thanks @GilbertQ

It works. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI parameters from Guy in a Cube.

https://guyinacube.com/2018/04/power-bi-parameters-updating-power-bi-service-apis/

This was posted yesterday.

Dear,

I was able to do this before, however i am getting below issue now when I change the paramter.

I am using server ip as parameter and trying to change the UAT IP to production one. Data source with prod ip is already added as data source in gateway.

Sometimew what happened is that the gateway selection itself is removed from the dataset.

ParamterChangeIssue.png

Br,

Shams

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @shamsuddeenvp,

Here is a blog describing how to change data source connection string in Power BI service:

Using the Power BI Service Parameters to change connection strings (To possibly change between Dev,

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shamsuddeenvp, take a look at setting up the parameter in the client and then you will be able to achieve hopefully what you were wanting to do between changing environments.

See the answer for this post. The 2nd reference if what you want to achieve.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/datasource-change-with-parameters/td-p/85128

2nd Reference from link above:

http://biinsight.com/power-bi-desktop-query-parameters-part-1/

Hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors