Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

D_PBI
Post Patron
Post Patron

Parameter greyed out/disabled in the Power BI Service - why?

Hi,
I have a PBI report that has four parameters built into it - these are 'Server name', 'Database name', 'Year Start Date', and 'Year End Date'.
For some reason the 'Year End Date' is greyed out/disabled (see below). It wasn't like this when the report was first published and neither 9 months ago when the parameters last needed changing.

D_PBI_0-1669202948604.png

Does anyone know why the parameter is greyed out?  I've had a look at the report and cannot see anything. Everything looks in order.
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @D_PBI 

I think the reason why this parameter cannot be edited has to do with the type of parameter you created when you created the parameter in desktop, because according to the description restrictions of the official documentation, "Any" or "Binary" type parameters work in Power BI Desktop, but we currently don't support them in the service, for security reasons

Please refer to this official document for details:

Edit parameter settings in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
D_PBI
Post Patron
Post Patron

I checked the parameters in PQ and the parameters with values that I cannot amend in the PBI Service are no longer Date types, they had changed to Text type. I know they were working and that I hadn't changed their type. I don't know how or when they changed their type but something changed them and it wasn't done by me (the only person who has the access to do so). Odd.

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @D_PBI 

I think the reason why this parameter cannot be edited has to do with the type of parameter you created when you created the parameter in desktop, because according to the description restrictions of the official documentation, "Any" or "Binary" type parameters work in Power BI Desktop, but we currently don't support them in the service, for security reasons

Please refer to this official document for details:

Edit parameter settings in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors