Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

acbg
Resolver III
Resolver III

Paginated report builder .Net Version

Been trying to download the new Power BI Report Builder but running into issue of not having .Net Framework 4.5 installed.

But when trying to install that framework I am getting the message that I have a higher version already installed.

So went and checked the registry to find out I have .NET Framework 4.7.2 installed.

Is this is a bug on the report builder installation file that its not recognizing the higher version of .Net Framework?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Can you also check to see if you have this key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full

Also when you try to install can you do it from the command line and use the following command:

msiexec /i PowerBiReportBuilder.msi /log C:\Temp\install.log

Looking in the log let me know if you see any errors and also if you see a property called RSNETFRAMEWORK45 can you let me know what the value is. Thanks!

View solution in original post

acbg
Resolver III
Resolver III

As others have suggested command line was what helped for me as well...run the thing in quiet or passive mode:

msiexec /i <filepath>\PowerBiReportBuilder.msi /passive

or 

msiexec /i <filepath>\PowerBiReportBuilder.msi /quiet

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
acbg
Resolver III
Resolver III

As others have suggested command line was what helped for me as well...run the thing in quiet or passive mode:

msiexec /i <filepath>\PowerBiReportBuilder.msi /passive

or 

msiexec /i <filepath>\PowerBiReportBuilder.msi /quiet

me_neil
Frequent Visitor

This has seemed to work!

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Neil

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mgmeryer, any progress on this? I too cannot install due to .NET 4.5 requirment error:

Info 2898. The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The error code is 2898. For Tahoma8 textstyle, the system created a 'Tahoma' font, in 1 character set.
Info 2898. The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The error code is 2898. For DlgTitleStyleB textstyle, the system created a 'Tahoma' font, in 1 character set.
Info 2836. The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The error code is 2836. The control Back on the dialog SetupCompleteErrorDlg cannot take focus.
AppSearch: Property: RSNETFRAMEWORK45, Signature: RSNetFramework45
MSI (s) (FC:D4) [11:01:36:630]: Ignoring disallowed property RSNETFRAMEWORK45
Property(C): RSNETFRAMEWORK45 = 4.7.02556
MSI (c) (94:84) [11:01:40:855]: Product: Power BI Report Builder -- Installation failed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi -- yes, the trick to get it to work is to run a command prompt, as administrator.

Then manually execute the msi from the command prompt with elevated priveleges -- then it will install without any error.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes this worked me.  Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. That did the trick!

Info 2898. The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The error code is 2898. For Tahoma8 textstyle, the system created a 'Tahoma' font, in 1 character set.
Info 2898. The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The error code is 2898. For DlgTitleStyleB textstyle, the system created a 'Tahoma' font, in 1 character set.

What is the first error? The failure does not look related to .Net version.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ditto.  Did Microsoft really just put out a download that only works for computers from 2012?

We are unable to reproduce this issue. If you can provide system information and install failure log, that would be great. bradsy@removethistextMicrosoft.com

Can you also check to see if you have this key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full

Also when you try to install can you do it from the command line and use the following command:

msiexec /i PowerBiReportBuilder.msi /log C:\Temp\install.log

Looking in the log let me know if you see any errors and also if you see a property called RSNETFRAMEWORK45 can you let me know what the value is. Thanks!

2019-04-23_12-52-41.gif

Anonymous
Not applicable

Installing using the msiexec command made it install successfully....that is good, but not sure why it wouldn't install normally.  

The log file has this property:

RSNETFRAMEWORK45 = 4.7.03056

Didnt work for me 

AppSearch: Property: RSNETFRAMEWORK45, Signature: RSNetFramework45

MSI (s) (50:C4) [12:47:26:543]: Ignoring disallowed property RSNETFRAMEWORK45

Property(C): RSNETFRAMEWORK45 = 4.7.03056

This is what I got.

Found this error 

Info 2836. The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The error code is 2836. The control Back on the dialog SetupCompleteErrorDlg cannot take focus.

me_neil
Frequent Visitor

I am also running into the same issue.

bradsy
Employee
Employee

Hi acbg,

This would be a bug if true. We will take a look at it and fix if we can reproduce.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors