Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

abpgupta
Post Patron
Post Patron

Paginated report: Export to PDF/Excel taking longer time

Hi All

I am using URL to pass parameter to create formatted outputs with Paginated reports. However, it first renders report and then starts exports. Export Pop up message says it may take several minutes to download.

Is there any way to improve performance time for export and close the window after export is done?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @abpgupta 

I think the long time waiting to export to PDF/Excel can be a limitation that is explained in the document:

• The process of exporting the report to PDF might take a few minutes to complete, so be patient. Factors that can affect the time required include the structure of the report and the current load on the Power BI service.

Limitations of exporting reports from Power BI to PDF

If you have a new idea to make the Export function more high efficiency and user-friendly, I suggest you to go to the Power BI Idea to post a new idea, and others can vote for you.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-robertq-msft , I see document is about Power BI Export. I am looking for Paginated Report Export taking longer time. Is it applicable to Paginated reports as well? 

Thank you! 

Yes, it is related.

I am using DAX query and applying filters using Filter function, does it need to retrieve all data before applying filters? I see maximum time it is taking on rendering first page so would like to understand how it is working and any way to reduce time to render first page.

Hi, @abpgupta 

When you use the DAX query to apply filters on your dataset, it will retrieve the data within the table you used in the Filter function.

The time that is taken to render the pages is based on the content in the pages(number of visualizations), if your first page takes maximum time, I think it’s normal and you don’t have to change it if it’s acceptable.

To reduce the time of exporting to PDF/Excel, another way is to reduce the current load on the Power BI service. I suggest you to export reports when the scheduled refresh is not in progress.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

So that means if filter table is small, it can help in improved run time to filter main query, correct? In filter,  I am using main table  to get distinct values to create filter table within DAX and passing parameter values. 
I have only one Matrix and Parameter placeholders for report. Users just want to export output using URL parameters without need to render first page. Is it possible to skip page rendering to reduce run time for export? 

Hi, @abpgupta 

Yes, you can consider using the “Hide Page” to prevent the first page from rendering if it’s possible, like this(this is a function in desktop), maybe you can find a way to hide a report page in your paginated report:

v-robertq-msft_0-1612408837891.png

If it’s not possible, I think it’s great to keep the completeness of your paginared report.

Best Regards,

It seems there are issues with paginated report performance in general compared to Desktop reports. Is there any documentation supporting this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors