Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

abpgupta
Post Patron
Post Patron

Paginated report: CSV outputs

Hi All

I have a report with multiple sections and using Report Parameters I am conditionally show or hide  tables.

When I export output in Excel or PDF, I get only intended table in outputs. However, when I use Export to csv format, it renders all tables (visible/ hidden) on same page. i.e. it's not applying hidden property's conditional logic.

I am not sure why it's not working with csv format? 

Please let me know if have any inputs. 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @abpgupta 

Sometimes your reports look different or do not work the way you want after you export them to a different format. This occurs because certain rules and limitations might apply to the renderer.

Reporting Services provides many rendering extensions, supporting exports of reports to common file formats. The rendering extensions support file formats with soft breaks (for example, Word or Excel), hard-page breaks (for example, PDF or TIFF), or data only (for example, CSV or Atom compliant XML).

There are three types of Reporting Services rendering extensions:

• Data renderer extensions Data rendering extensions strip all formatting and layout information from the report and display only the data. The resulting file can be used to import the raw report data into another file type, such as Excel, another database, an XML data message, or a custom application. Data renderers do not support page breaks.

The following data rendering extensions are supported: CSV, XML, and Atom.

• Soft page-break renderer extensions Soft page-break rendering extensions maintain the report layout and formatting. The resulting file is optimized for screen-based viewing and delivery, such as on a Web page or in the ReportViewer controls.

The following soft page-break rendering extensions are supported: Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Web archive (MHTML).

• Hard page-break rendering extensions Hard page-break renderer extensions maintain the report layout and formatting. The resulting file is optimized for a consistent printing experience, or to view the report online in a book format.

The following hard page-break rendering extensions are supported: TIFF and PDF.

The Comma-Separated Value (CSV) rendering extension renders paginated reports as a flattened representation of data from a report in a standardized, plain-text format that is easily readable and exchangeable with many applications.

Therefore, due to the different rules and restrictions of CSV, EXECL and PDF, it fails to apply your report parameters and directly output your expected results.

Please refer to the following documents for details. 

Export paginated reports (Report Builder) - Microsoft Report Builder & Power BI Report Builder | Mic...

Export a paginated report to a CSV file - Microsoft Report Builder & Power BI Report Builder | Micro...

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @abpgupta 

Sometimes your reports look different or do not work the way you want after you export them to a different format. This occurs because certain rules and limitations might apply to the renderer.

Reporting Services provides many rendering extensions, supporting exports of reports to common file formats. The rendering extensions support file formats with soft breaks (for example, Word or Excel), hard-page breaks (for example, PDF or TIFF), or data only (for example, CSV or Atom compliant XML).

There are three types of Reporting Services rendering extensions:

• Data renderer extensions Data rendering extensions strip all formatting and layout information from the report and display only the data. The resulting file can be used to import the raw report data into another file type, such as Excel, another database, an XML data message, or a custom application. Data renderers do not support page breaks.

The following data rendering extensions are supported: CSV, XML, and Atom.

• Soft page-break renderer extensions Soft page-break rendering extensions maintain the report layout and formatting. The resulting file is optimized for screen-based viewing and delivery, such as on a Web page or in the ReportViewer controls.

The following soft page-break rendering extensions are supported: Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Web archive (MHTML).

• Hard page-break rendering extensions Hard page-break renderer extensions maintain the report layout and formatting. The resulting file is optimized for a consistent printing experience, or to view the report online in a book format.

The following hard page-break rendering extensions are supported: TIFF and PDF.

The Comma-Separated Value (CSV) rendering extension renders paginated reports as a flattened representation of data from a report in a standardized, plain-text format that is easily readable and exchangeable with many applications.

Therefore, due to the different rules and restrictions of CSV, EXECL and PDF, it fails to apply your report parameters and directly output your expected results.

Please refer to the following documents for details. 

Export paginated reports (Report Builder) - Microsoft Report Builder & Power BI Report Builder | Mic...

Export a paginated report to a CSV file - Microsoft Report Builder & Power BI Report Builder | Micro...

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors